Chapter Twenty-Four: Something More

Dolores had stopped as she listened to Tío Bruno's vision of Catherine's past. She had heard the first one from inside his tower, then her hermano's joy turning into animals, and now the vision and Catherine's hollow, empty cry.

"Mi amor?"

Mariano lifted Dolores' face to his. When he saw her eyes he immediately covered her ears making her smile and ease them away.

"I'm okay, Mariano," she said.

"Do you need to go home? I can explain it to Mamá and Pá."

"No, no. It's okay. We keep putting off seeing your familia, they've promised to not talk about Tío Bruno. Just, give me a moment."

"Of course."

Dolores put his hands back over her ears and she closed her eyes. She smiled, feeling the warmth on his hands shielding her. Well, attempting. Even Mariano's big hands didn't block all the noises.

"... Valentina, another amazing coffee today, good work..."

"... Mi amor, I need you to pick the kids up from class today..."

"... Mira, can you please take 10 empanadas to El Bar De Noche for me? Fabían said there'll be a desk out the front, just put them there and come right back."

"Sí, Mamá."

"Dolores, focus, mi amor."

"Camilo, this is a bad idea." Camilo? "Your Mamá said if you shift too much you can get tired."

"I'll be fine, Sofia. Just one last time, I promise."

"... I bet your freak brother can never do anything more than turn into other people."

"Camilo isn't a freak!"

"He turns into girls!"

"He's such a freak."

"Such a weirdo."

"Excuse me, Mariano," Dolores said and began walking towards the school.

"Dolores?" Mariano asked.

"Stop it!" Antonio yelled. "Camilo is the best!"

"So you're saying he's good as a girl?"

"So weird."

"Your brother is a crossdresser."

"He is not! It's his gift, to help the town!"

"Your brother is a freak and you know it."

"Luisa," Dolores grabbed her prima's shirt as she stormed past her. "I need you."

"Eh? What? What's going on?" Luisa asked.

"A few kids at the school are teasing Antonio by saying mean things about Camilo turning to women."

"They're what?"

Dolores let go when Luisa began to march herself there.

"Thank you, Luisa," Dolores said and smiled.

Even Mariano pushed himself ahead of Dolores. Camilo would be his hermanito soon and he'd never let anyone talk about his family.

"Camilo, please, calm down. I'll go get your Mamá!" Dolores heard Sofia say followed by a panicked whinny. "Camilo, it'll be okay. You just have to calm down." More panicked whinnies.

"You two keep going. Stop them before Antonio tells Parce to attack those children," Dolores said loudly for Luisa and Mariano before she changed path towards the paddock where Camilo had turned into a horse.