Chapter Ten: Illness

The next morning. Catherine was attempting to quietly leave Casita when she was startled by Dolores running around the balcony to Julieta's door. Catherine and Bruno watched as Dolores began knocking only to stop, squeak and cover her ears, itching them.

She then stepped back from the door.

"Dolores? What's the matter?" Bruno asked.

Dolores looked at them over her shoulder before turning back as Julieta's door opened. Agustín answered it.

"Tía needs to come with me right now. Something is wrong with Abuela!" Dolores rushed.

Catherine and Bruno were both surprised. And immediately concerned.

"Go, I'll get Pepa for you," Catherine said.

Catherine tried to be mindful of Dolores' ears as she went to knock on Pepa's door. But how does one knock without knocking? Suddenly, Catherine remembered hearing some of the Madrigals knock rhythmically as if part of a song. Catherine tried to replicate it before standing back.

When Pepa opened the door, she had a cloud and looked very tired.

"You're already here?" Pepa asked and the cloud faded.

"Pepa, something is wrong with Abuela."

Pepa's reaction was quick. She screamed back into her room for her husband. "Félix!" Then without waiting for him, ran for her mother's door. Catherine waited for Félix before closing their door for them and making her way to the room herself. Dolores hadn't gone inside so Catherine stood outside the room with her.

Inside their mother's room, Bruno held his mother's hand as Julieta checked on her. She had to know the condition to heal it.

Pepa ran in. Cloudless. Until she dropped to her knees beside Julieta.

"What is wrong?" Pepa asked.

"She has a fever. Her breathing is erratic... there are so many things this could be," Julieta answered.

"Julieta," Bruno mumbled.

"I will try my best. Mami, I will be back," Julieta said and rushed out of the room as Félix came in.

Outside, Mirabel had come out of her room with the candle. She hadn't gone in right away, she looked at Catherine for a bit.

"You should come in," she said calmly. "Tío Bruno may need you."

Catherine decided to follow Mirabel into Abuela Alma's room. But not before Camilo and Isabela had come out of their rooms.

"Dolores? What's happening?" Camilo asked his sister.

Catherine followed Mirabel into Abuela's room and was surprised. Her room was an entire house! It looked old. Vintage and native. Whatever that meant. Perhaps a replica of Abuela Alma's home from her youth or happier times? Catherine guessed.

"Bruno, you can help! You need to have a vision of Mamá! Tell us what is ailing her," Pepa was shouting when Catherine came in. She was thundering.

"Pepa, mi amor," Félix said softly. "He is as worried as we are."

"So why won't you have the vision, Bruno?" Pepa asked. "Help us help Mamá!"

"Maybe because you all distrusted his visions for most of his life," Mirabel said as she walked up to Abuela. "Abuela? I brought the candle?"

Catherine walked up to Bruno. And she rested a hand on his shoulder.

"What happens if I see something bad? Something none of us will like?" Bruno asked. "I don't... I don't wanna see that. I don't."