Chapter Eighteen: The Next Candle + Triplets

The seven days of celebrating Abuela Alma's life went faster than Catherine realised it would. Even if she had felt off ever since touching Abuela.

None of the triplets, and the husbands, let any of their kids walk with Abuela to the crematorium room. Casita helped.

Catherine stayed with Bruno, holding his hand. The six of them watched as Casita pushed the body into the flames.

"Clear skies..."

Catherine looked at Pepa. Her eyes were closed and the thundering cloud she'd had all week stayed strong. She was taking steady breaths.

"Pepa," Catherine whispered. "Just let it out. No one is going to be mad."

"You have done so well, Pepí," Félix said.

Pepa leant into her husband and her control snapped. She finally, for the first time in seven days, cried.

Agustín had a hand on Julieta but that triplet had finished crying. She was the matriarch now. The oldest in the family born Madrigal.

Bruno let go of Catherine's hand to raise his hood.

Then the smell hit. At first, once Pepa began to grieve, all that they could smell was the rain. The change was sudden. Hit them all though affected Catherine the worst.

It was a small she had unfortunately smelt before, but this time, after feeling off all week, her stomach twisted and rolled, and she taste vomit in the back of her mouth. She tried to keep it down, to stay with Bruno. And failed. Catherine ran outside into the rain, knowing she wouldn't make it to the sink. Bruno followed her out and made sure her braid stayed behind her shoulders.

"I'm sorry," Catherine mumbled.

"Get her inside, Brunito," Julieta said softly.

Though surrounded by the rain, and outside, the smell couldn't reach her so Catharine was feeling a bit better. Wasn't sure how long it would last, so she accepted Bruno's help to stand and walk around Casita to walk inside.

Everyone was still standing in the courtyard waiting, and they all turned to look when Bruno and Catherine walked in.

"Tío Bruno?" Isabela stepped forward.

"I'm fine now, mi amor," Catherine said softly. "Just let me sit..." her eyes had travelled by themselves to the second floor, more directly, to the candle's window.

There was no flame.

"Bruno," she said.

Confused, Bruno followed her eyes and he felt cold. The candle was out.

"But... Pepa..." Catherine said pointing to the rain coming into the courtyard.

Bruno let go of Catherine to run into Mirabel's room and to the candle.

Isabela followed with her eyes, only to freeze when she noticed the candle.

Catherine made it halfway up the stairs before her stomach rolled. This time she was at least able to make it to the bathroom.

Bruno slowly approached the candle in the window. It was definitely out. Nor was it glowing with magic anymore. In fact, it was just a regular old candle! Had someone switched it out while no one was looking? Surely not, everyone in the village relied on la familia Madrigal.

So what happened?

Bruno looked through the window, quickly finding his sobrina Dolores. She was watching him and her hands were still over her ears.

"You can still hear?" Bruno asked and she nodded.

Isabela approached her baby sisters, who were curled together crying.