Chapter Twenty-Three: Greater Gifts

When Bruno and Catherine left the tower, they were met by most of the family, waiting for them with cheers. Mariano was there. Camilo was not. Luisa and Antonio were still out.

"Much better, Tío," Dolores said, tears in her eyes. "I'm so happy!"

"Did he give you the ring?" Pepa asked before reaching for Catherine's hand.

"It's beautiful," Catherine said.

"It was Mamá's."

"What?"

Catherine looked up at Bruno in shock.

"We found it going through her things. None of us had ever seen it before," Julieta explained. "We assume it was an engagement ring because she only had the two."

"We thought Bruno should have it," Pepa continued.

"Are you sure?" Catherine asked, suddenly feeling uncertain about the heirloom ring. "Pablo would have spent a lot of money on it."

"I think that ring is exactly where it belongs," Julieta said. "Two weddings to plan now. Miércoles."

"We can help each other," Dolores said and hugged her Tío and future Tía.

"As much as I would like to celebrate and get planning, we do still have work to do."

"Sí. Of course, Tía."

"Rain or shine, Encanto needs us. So let's get to work, Madrigals!"

"Yeah!" Mirabel cheered.

"Catherine, may I ask you a favour?"

Catherine had been looking at her ring when Julieta approached. She looked nervous.

"Of course, anything I can help with. What do you need?" Catherine asked.

"If you have time today, could you please work with Bruno and his gift again? Pepa and I will be busy today in the rain and I don't really trust anybody else with mi hermanito."

"Juli," Bruno mumbled in embarrassment.  He hid in his ruana hood. "I can look after myself."

"Your visions have hurt you in the past, Bruno. We're exploring uncharted territories with our gifts. I just want someone to be with you so you don't get hurt again."

"Julieta," Catherine said. She reached back to take Bruno's hand though it was hidden under his ruana. "When it comes to Bruno, you don't need to ask."

"Thank you."

As the family dispersed to their daily chores, Catherine returned to Bruno.

"Let's get to work."

Catherine had been working with the Madrigals and their gifts over the past two days when she wasn't helping in the town, being sick, or painting. So far she had only worked with Pepa and Bruno.

With Pepa, they had almost given up, after two days all Pepa had been able to accomplish was rain, while keeping the air around her warm. A huge step, but also a small one.

Bruno was easier to work with, his gift is more... open. They had learnt that Bruno didn't need to burn leaves when he looked into the past, in fact, the leaves made it harder. Bruno had been able to see his own past easily, even that of his sisters with ease. Catherine had a theory it was because they were triplets and she was going to test the theory by having Bruno look for her past.

"Are you sure, mi alma?" Bruno asked as he helped her reach the vision cave. "It's your past."

"You already know so much of my life anyway, mi amor," Catherine said. "I don't have anything to hide from you."