Chapter Nineteen: Predicted

Dolores made sure to be the one to greet Catherine in the morning, and rushed in to help when she could hear her being sick again.

While Dolores held her hair back, instead of talking about Catherine being sick, Dolores just told her all about the stories told last night.

They made her smile and laugh which is all Dolores had hoped for in her condition.

"So, Bruno has dressed up as both of his sisters?" Catherine asked braiding her hair for the day.

"It would seem so," Dolores said.

There was a knock on the door and Catherine went to get it. Agustín stood there nervously.

"Oh, buenos días, Señor Agustín," Catherine said.

"Buenos días, Tío," Dolores said.

"Oh, Dolores! What are you doing here?" Agustín asked.

"Catching, Señora Catherine up on all she missed last night."

"Really?"

"What can I help you with, Señor?" Catherine coached. "I was about to make my way to Casita."

"Oh! Well, Julieta and my anniversary past last week, so I wanted to give her the painting... you know."

"Oh! It's in Bruno's room."

"It is?" Agustín asked.

"It is. Now, come on, let's go."

"Señora," Dolores said suddenly, making her uncle and Catherine look at her. "Are you going to be okay today?"

"You're still sick?" Agustín asked.

"I have to be. Please don't tell Bruno, unless we have to. I don't want him panicking," Catherine said.

"He loves you, Catherine. He's going to worry regardless if we tell him or not."

Catherine took a steadying breath and began to make her way to Casita. Dolores and Agustín followed.

"Tío Bruno is helping Tía Julieta with breakfast," Dolores told them both before they reached the door.

Dolores went to find Julieta in the kitchen as Agustín followed Catherine to Bruno's tower. She had hidden the painting behind Bruno's favourite red seat. The moment Catherine went to move the seat, it moved her stomach the wrong way and it rolled. Casita helped her get to the bathroom in time.

Agustín found himself holding her hair and rubbing her back as she was sick.

"Are you sure you're okay, Señora?" he asked.

"I... I don't know," Catherine said as she began crying in fear and disgust in herself. "I... I don't know. I'm scared..." Why was she admitting this to Agustín? "I'm scared and I don't know what to do."

"It'll be okay, I'm sure of it. Perhaps it just needs a bit longer to pass."

"I don't know, Agustín," Catherine said between soft sobs. "It doesn't feel like it will. I don't want to scare Bruno. I don't. But... but I'm scared. And so soon after their mother..."

Agustín let her cry on his shoulder until she quickly stepped away.

Dolores stood in the doorway to the kitchen.

"Tía Julieta?" she mumbled. She watched Bruno dicing mushrooms as she approached. "Do you have anything that may help with persistent nausea?"

Persistent nausea? Both Bruno and Julieta looked at her.

"I can't heal stomach aches, Dolores. I said this last night," Julieta said.

"Oh, I know. But... is there anything that may, not get rid of it completely, but ease it? So she can eat without being sick?" Dolores asked.