Chapter Four: Foreign Prophecy

CONTENT WARNING: due to current political issues in countries that I shall not name, I feel as if I have to put a content warning on his chapter. I wrote it before everything went down and do not wish to rewrite. So, please be advised that this chapter may contain topics sensitive to some in the time of publications.
CONTAINS MENTION OF: War.

~~~~

Catherine stared at the magical house. She could have sworn tiles were moving, nearly waving.

"Hola, Casita!" Camilo said, waving back. "See that candle?"

Catherine followed Camilo's point to a glowing candle. It was sort of, glittering. The flame was perfect and unmoving.

"That's our miracle. It made the village, the mountains... it is the house... Abuela tells the story better."

"Camilo!"

Dolores was suddenly there, staring wide-eyed and afraid at Camilo and Catherine.

"Abuela is here! Take her away!"

"Who is this?" Agustín asked, approaching them.

Camilo quickly grabbed Catherine's hand, startling her and began dragging her away from Casita. While moving, Catherine swore the house waved to her with its door. She naturally waved back before stopping herself. Waving... at a house?

Camilo and Catherine didn't stop until they were on the edge of the jungle separating the village from the mountains.

"So, why can't your Abuela see me?" Catherine asked.

"I don't know," Camilo said and jumped up to sit on the lowest hanging branch. "Dolores wants you to stay in town..."

"I guess it has something to do with Bruno?"

"Yeah."

"And you're not exactly sure what?"

"Nope."

"Well, if I'm hiding from your Abuela, may I please go to my bag and get my supplies?"

Camilo looked at her confused then jumped down from the branch.

"What supplies?" he asked.

"I draw. Paint. I prefer watercolours. If I'm going to be hiding for the duration of my stay, I'd like at least to be able to do what I do best."

"Watercolours?" Camilo asked.

"Take me back to my stuff, Camilo, please. I'll get lost in this village by myself."

"Huh. Oh, yeah, sure."

Camilo guided Catherine back through the town.

Without having a tour to distract her, Catherine felt the glares worse than before. She took a steadying breath and held her head high, following the young man back through the streets towards the house she had woken up in.

"Camilo!"

It had been the longest walk ever, but as Catherine opened the door, someone called the young Madrigal's name and he turned.

"We need your help! The kids won't stop crying!"

Catherine watched as Camilo, grinning but worried, ran off to help. Unthinking and leaving Catherine behind, alone.

Once she was alone, Catherine looked towards the town and saw the horde of men and women watching her. A sense of dread washed over her and she hurried to close the door between them and her. To help her calm down, she got out her watercolours and sketchbook from her bag and got to work. She was trying to recreate the beautiful magic of Casita and the surrounding jungle. She had only just finished the outline sketch of Casita when there was a knock on the door.