Chapter Eleven: Not Just Another Day

Bruno prayed while his Mamá slept. Catherine, when she wasn't trying to keep Abuela Alma comfortable with as much of her minimal health care training she'd picked up, she prayed with him. Catherine didn't consider herself a religious woman. War had stripped her beliefs from her where it had made others cling to it. But for him, for her Bruno, she held his hands and prayed with him. Prayed for a miracle.

Abuela Alma woke after some time.

"Catalina?" She then turned to see Bruno. "Brunito!"

"Mamá," Bruno said. "Are you feeling better?"

Abuela Alma began coughing. She slowly sat up and both Catherine and Bruno reached to help.

"Get your hands off me!" Abuela Alma yelled and smacked Catherine's hands.

"Mamá, she's only trying to help," Bruno said.

"I don't need that cracker's help."

"Má!"

Catherine stepped back as Bruno helped her stand.

"I'll be fine, Brunito," Abuela Alma said so softly.

Once she was standing, she patted Bruno's hands. He let go and she began walking to her bathroom.

Halfway there she coughed and her legs gave out. Both Bruno and Catherine rushed to help her stand through her coughing and get to where she wanted to go.

Abuela Alma grabbed the doorframe for support once she was there, turned and slapped Catherine before retreating into the room and closing the door behind her surprisingly soft.

"Are you okay?" Bruno asked.

He softly held her cheek that his mother just hit.

"It's not the worst thing that happened to me. I'll be okay," Catherine said.

He softly kissed her cheek, already red from his mother's slap.

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

There was a rhythmic knock on the door. Both Catherine and Bruno looked as Dolores walked in with Isabela.

"Sobrinas?"

"Mamá is still storming," Dolores explained. "And Tía is busy in town."

"We'll get her back to bed," Isabela said. Catherine wondered if her confidence was put on.

"Are you girls sure?" Bruno asked.

"Go get her some ice for that cheek," Dolores said. "It sounded painful."

"I'm fine," Catherine argued.

Bruno still took Catherine's hand and guided her outside the room.

"Bruno- I said I'm fin-"

He put his arms around her, pulled her close. He held her body against his and leaned against the wall.

"Bruno?"

"Are you okay?" Bruno muttered against her shoulder.

She put her arms around him.

"Where'd this come from? One night and suddenly-"

"She hit you. Are you okay?"

"Bruno, you know I've been through worse than being slapped across the face by someone's mother." Catherine slowly pushed him away so she could look at him. There was such guilt and shame in his eyes. She didn't like it one bit. "There's nothing your mother could do that'll break me. I've seen our future, Bruno. If it means being slapped by your dying mother a few times then so be it."