Chapter Eight: Slightly Awkward Day

Bruno had wanted to die from embarrassment the next day when he was asked to stay with Catherine. He begged Pepa to help when it came to shopping. She was all too happy too.

Bruno prayed she'd forgotten. Catherine had decided she wouldn't bring it up unless he did.

Dolores stayed quiet, but from her expression at the breakfast table, both Bruno and Catherine knew... she knew. Dolores heard everything.

With the village's help and the Madrigals', a new house was built for Catherine relatively close to Casita, so the town felt comfortable that she was being watched, within a few days.

There was always at least one Madrigal waiting for her when she woke up. After a week since her return, Camilo still hadn't been allowed to be the one escorting her but it never stopped him from trying to spend time with Catherine.

Catherine ended up finding herself a little roll in the village. Sometimes she'd be helping Juileta with her table and food for the injured, sometimes she'd be in the fields helping gather food for the village to share. But mostly she sat and painted.

She had created paint with the help of Pepa and Antonio so she had what she needed to get back to what she loved. And slowly, the people of the encanto warmed up to her. Valentina would offer her a coffee, which Catherine still wasn't a fan of, while she set up for the day, only for Isabela to arrive after Valentina had left with tea Isabela had made from her own flowers.

After a while, Catherine had been to a handful of encanto parties and the only Madrigal gift she hadn't seen in person, was Bruno. She had seen many people ask him for a vision only for him to back away, denying them.

Would he deny me a vision? she asked herself.

For the first time since before the war, Catherine felt like she was home.

One day, Catherine stayed back to help clean up after a town party. It had been her turn.

"Catalina," an old voice said from behind her.

There was only one person in the village who said her name like that. Catherine turned and smiled at Abuela Alma. Catherine was holding an empty dish that used to hold cooked fish, now there were only bones.

"Is there anything I can help you with, Señora?" Catherine asked.

"Join us for dinner tomorrow," she said. Catherine noticed her cheeks and ears go pink before she turned and strutted away.

Was that a request or an order?

With a shrug and a confused sigh, she got back to cleaning.

"Señora Catherine?"

Now what?

She turned and saw Mariano staring at her.

"Yes, Señor Mariano?"

"May I pay you for your work?"

His question confused her. That's how she'd earnt her keep in the village, she'd paint and people would trade for them. Sometimes they'd pay with coin, other times it would be an exchange of goods.

"Sorry, I meant to ask, if I could pay you, to paint my wedding to Dolores."

"You two aren't even engaged yet," Catherine noted.

"When it happens. I want to surprise Dolores with the gift-"

"You know she can probably hear this whole conversation?"

He blushed and nodded.

"Well, get engaged first, and then I'll talk with you about it. Now, if you'll excuse me."