10

Zee could not face the fire of anger in Michael's eyes, so she shifted her gaze and just could not resist seeing the look on Cassy's face.

If looks could kill, she knew she would have been dead by now. Cassy was glaring daggers at her. Her eyes were full of hate and unbelief. It seemed like she was still trying to comprehend what was going on.

Some of the spectators had risen in confusion and she could see Eve and Amy staring at her with hate in their heavily made-up eyes. Zee noticed for the first time, that Eve was holding a bouquet of white flowers. She guessed Eve was the Maid of Honor.

The Priest raised his hands and waved at the guests. "People of God, please calm down, sit down, settle down. Do not fret. By God, this happens sometimes."

The tension-filled people managed to settle back on their seats and he addressed Michael.

"Michael Ray, do you know the woman over there?" he asked, pointing at Zee.

Michael's eyes briefly went to the Priest and then returned to Zee's face. The fire in them had intensified. "Yes." He bit out, sounding like a lion letting out a low growl.

"Cassandra Blake," the Priest addressed Cassy next. "Do you know the woman over there?" he asked pointing at Zee again.

Cassy also spared the Priest a glance before returning her venomous gaze to Zee's face. "Yes." She hissed.

The Priest looked at Zee. Despite the coolness of the hall, she was sweating with fear. Her legs were trembling but she hoped it was not visible.

She felt herself having a panic attack as suddenly, the fear of being made old by the game at that moment, overtook her. She quickly fought off the fear because it was unfounded. She was performing the game's dare, which meant her fear was uncalled for. Damn! She was already feeling traumatized by the game. God! She could not wait for it to be over.

She forced her eyes to leave the floor and focus on the Priest's face. After all, this was her moment. It was already too late to back out now. She had to finish what she had started or end up dead.

"Young woman, what is your name, please?" the Priest asked her.

"Elizabeth Daniel," she responded, fighting the wavering of her voice.

"Elizabeth Daniel." The Priest repeated, addressing her.

"Sir." She answered.

"Why won't you see Michael Ray and Cassandra Blake joined?"

Zee looked into the couple's angry faces. Both eyes seemed to be firing bullets at her. She had never faced such hatred in her entire life. It was frightening and disheartening even for someone like her who had sort of developed a thick skin. She quickly returned her eyes to the Priest's face.

"Because...because..." Zee was lost for words. She had no idea what reason to give. She had no plan. She had not prepared for this very question. She had not even known that this kind of question would be asked.

"Speak." The Priest said forcefully.

Gosh! Zee thought. Who would not hate a wedding breaker? Even the Priest seemed upset but he was just performing his duty.

Zee opened her mouth again and tried to bring up an explanation.

"Because..." she began vaguely and remembered the pictures. She opened her purse and retrieved the envelope encasing the photographs. Then she raised it in the air. "Because of this." She announced.

The spectators and everyone was watching her curiously and at a signal from the Priest to an Altar boy standing by the pulpit, the Altar boy hurried forward towards Zee.