11

Michael led Cassy into the privacy of the corridor and thrust the photographs into her hand. Then he folded his arms across his chest and quietly watched her reaction as she stood nervously before him, her eyes falling on the indecent pictures.
She scanned the photographs, shame overwhelming her. Then she lifted her pleading eyes to his angry amber ones. "Please, I'm really sorry." She implored him.
"I'm trying to figure out how you hoped to prove your virginity to me."
"I...actually..." she began to stutter, and he gave her a curt wave of dismissal.

"Let me guess." He interrupted in the same vein. "You were going to cry and pretend it hurts, right? After all, it is said that some women do not bleed. They probably lost it from rigorous physical activity like exercise, right?"

She started shaking her head in denial.

"No?" he pressed. "Okay. Maybe you had plans of using the fake blood capsule, which I hear can be inserted a few hours before penetrative intercourse. And then by the time we make love, the capsule dissolves and releases a liquid substance that looks like blood. Is that what you planned? How on earth did you plan to prove it?"

Cassy began to cry. She had bought the capsule. How could he have an idea about it?

"Tell me the truth. We can start there."

She nodded. "It's the capsule." She admitted. "I'm really sorry, please. I just wanted to be perfect for you."

"Great. Be perfect and explain the pictures to me."

"He is...he is someone I was seeing."

"Did you just say was? Those pictures were taken this week, or are you missing the dates they carry?"

Cassy cried harder.

"I fell in love with you," he said regretfully. "I thought you loved me too."

"I do love you, Michael." She blubbered.

"Spare me." He said testily. "I mean, we both said to hell with our parent's choice for us and decided to do this on a low-key and as quiet as possible. Never have I appreciated that decision more. The fewer eyes that witness this sham, the better."

"Please, Michael."

"Who is the guy?"

"He's...he's not important."

"Tell me something else I can believe."

"I swear, he's not important."

"So, what were you doing with him?"

"We...we just have sex. I figured since we're getting married, I would just have one last fling as a single girl."

"Do you fucking hear...?" Michael began harshly, making her flinch, but he stopped his words in honor of the church because of the expletive. "Do you even hear yourself?" he reiterated as her sobs increased further.

"Michael, please."

"It's over, Cassy."

"No, please. We have guests, please."

"Cassandra, I cannot do this. I'm not here to marry the guests. I came here to marry you. But now, I cannot put my ring on the finger of a liar and a slut. I am a jealous lover...a very jealous one. I have told you this before. Knowing what you have been doing, I cannot go on with this wedding. I can't."

She fell on her knees and clung to his pants. "Please. It won't happen again."

"It won't." he agreed pointedly. "Because you and I are through."

"Please."

He shoved her off him and headed in the direction they had both come from.

"Why did she do this?" Cassy cried, rising to her feet. Michael paused in his strides and turned back to face her. "I mean, who is she to you?" Cassy pressed.