12

With Michael steadily advancing behind her, Zee ran along the common hall that held the doors to each of the halls holding a wedding.

She whipped past the double doors of the entrance and the moment she was outside the Church, she took hurried steps towards her truck.

“Elizabeth!” she heard him thunder behind her, but she neither responded nor turned back around. Instead, she fished for her car keys inside her purse, her hands trembling.

She managed to get a hold of the key and struggled to slide it into the keyhole between trying to open the car door and taking quick nervous glances behind her to catch a glimpse of an angry Michael storming towards her.

Her heartbeat had escalated. Christ! He was close…so close. Her hands fumbled frantically with the keyhole, her eyes round with fear.

Given her uncontrollable state of nervousness, she could not open the door on time and ended up turning around and backing herself against the car in surrender. She let her back hit the car and shut her eyes tightly as Michael reached her.

She was overwhelmed by his anger and earthy cologne as he closed in on her, covering the space between them and coming to stand intimidatingly close to her.

Zee thought she had stopped breathing until she felt her heartbeat slamming against her chest. Guilt and fear were terrible feelings combined.

“Please, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” She said frantically. “I’m really sorry.”

“Open your eyes.”

In her heart, Zee could liken the current sound of his voice to that of a rising storm.

“Please, I can’t,” she whined. “I can’t face you.”

“Open your eyes.” He repeated, his tone unchanged.

He watched her eyelashes flutter reluctantly and dampen, then slowly open to reveal large blue eyes that had welled up. The tears that had gathered in her eyes had begun slipping down her cheeks, but she had her gaze glued to the ground.

“I’m sorry, please.” She whined again. “I really am.”

Michael remained unfazed by all her crying. He didn’t think he had ever been so mad at anyone in his entire life. He felt like he could commit murder right now, and he was fighting hard to keep his temper under control.

“Look at me.” He commanded. He was seething with anger.

She sniffled and managed to lift her gaze, meeting the storm in his amber eyes. “Michael, please.” She said pleadingly. “I’m really sorry.”

His look did not soften. “Why?” he demanded. “Why did you do this? I mean, why now?”

The thought of mentioning the dare frightened Zee because of his earlier warning not to seek him out to use him ever again.

“I’m sorry.”

“And I am tired of hearing that.” He snapped. “The question is why?”

“Be…because I…it was too late by the time I finally made up my mind to let you know and I… I didn’t know how else to go about it.”

“Perhaps, you think I’m stupid?”

“No, please. I’m telling you the truth.” She blubbered.

“Lies.” He said blatantly. “I remember what you did under the influence of that stupid, daring game of yours. Tell me this wasn’t another episode.”

He watched her shake her head in denial, but her gaze had returned to the ground. At that moment, he didn’t believe a word she was saying.

Zee could not bear to face him over the unpleasantness of the situation. She felt his finger at the base of her chin, tilting it upwards, and she was forced to meet his stormy gaze.