25

Lemuel dropped Zee off at her home. Inara saw her off to the door and the Housekeeper was the one who opened the door and received a merry Zee inside. Afterwards, Inara joined Lemuel in the car and he restarted the car, driving them back home.

“Thanks.” Said Inara.

“You’re welcome. I’m very happy she has someone like Michael now.”

Inara frowned and Lemuel scoffed. “I know you won’t agree with me on this. You’re a good friend, Baby girl.”

She smiled. “Thanks, Love.”

***

Zee threw up into her bathroom sink with her mum rubbing her back supportively.

“You should stop drinking.” she chided her.

“I’m a big girl now, mum. It’s too late for all this.”

“Whatever. You know I’ll never play the sentimental mummy.”

Zee was about to say something but ended up throwing up again.

“Sorry, Darling.” Said her mom, helpfully.

Zee took a few seconds to recover. “And that’s why I love you.”

“I love you too, Baby.”

Zee’s face broke into a deep frown. “Gosh, mum, my head aches.”

“Sorry, Love. I’ll get you something to help with that. Meanwhile, have a bath and come eat. I’ll be in the kitchen. I want to whip up some canned soup.”

“Thanks. I didn’t mean what I said earlier.”

“I know. Wash your mouth.”

“Okay.”

It took about an hour before Zee finally settled down on her bed, her mum drawing the covers over her.

“Sleep well.” Her mother said.

“I enjoyed your mothering, Mum.” Zee said tiredly.

Her mother smiled at her.

“Maybe I’ll get drunk often.”

The smile disappeared from her mother’s face and Zee let out a slight chuckle. “I’m just kidding, Mummy.” Her eyes slowly drew close. The exhaustion had overcome her body.

“Goodnight, Sweetheart” Her mother said gently.

There was no response from Zee as she was already sleeping. Her mother turned off the light and exited the bedroom, leaving her to rest.

When Zee woke up in the morning, it was to Israel jumping up and down on her bed. She groaned irritably.

“See.” He said excitedly. “See, coo moni”

“Good morning, Izzy. Stop jumping.”

Israel stopped jumping and lay down on the bed beside her. She gently caressed his hair. “I’m so tired, boy.”

“Taya, boy.” he repeated.

“Yes. But I’ll be fine.” Said Zee.

“Fy.”

She smiled at him. “How are you?”

“Fy.”

A knock sounded at the door and her mother entered. “Time for breakfast, Israel.”

“Mum.” He called and she drew forward, lifted him and put him down gently on the ground.

“Good morning, Mum.” Zee greeted.