8

We made it back home quite late in the evening and all of us were tired from the dramatic day we'd had. I grabbed some snacks from the kitchen and Carlos grabbed some drinks. We had missed dinner but I was starving so I pretty much grabbed whatever I could from the cupboards.

"Are you going to tell me what happened with Keegan?" Carlos broke our silence as we made our way upstairs.

I shook my head. "Carlos, I'm too tired to get into it right now"

I didn't want to tell him about Keegan asking me to marry him and mate with him. I knew Carlos would drop everything and kill him on the spot for that. I didn't want any more trouble that day. I was exhausted.

"Okay, we can leave it for tonight, but you need to tell me eventually. He tried to hurt you Eva. I can't let him do it again but I can't protect you if you don't tell me" He sighed.

I groaned. "I don't need you to protect me Carlos," I dumped the food packets in my hands on the desk in his room. "I can look after my self just fine. I've managed on my own for long enough"

His chest started moving quicker than normal. He was getting angry. He took a deep breath to try and steady himself. "I know you can handle yourself Eva, I know you are strong but you are also this packs Luna. It isn't just you anymore and you need to stop pretending like it is. Whatever secrets you keep from me may endanger the pack, not just yourself. If someone wants to hurt you, do you really think the only way they can do that is by physically hurting you? No. Your pack becomes a target. Your mate, friends, family."

Realisation hit me as he said that. He was right. I wasn't alone anymore and there was plenty of other ways Keegan could hurt me. Everyone I knew and loved was now a target.

I sighed. "I'm sorry. It's just hard for me to get used to this. You're right. I'll tell you."

I explained to him everything that Keegan had said to me about my powers, his desire to marry and mate with me and the threats he threw at me. "But don't worry, okay? I won't let him hurt anyone in this pack, or you. I will handle this."

He shook his head. "No. We will handle this. We're a team now Evangeline," He pulled my hands into his. "I know you don't want me to, or think I need to, but I promise i will protect you from him. Okay?"

I nodded.

We got into the bed and turned on the TV, searching for something to watch. We found a romantic drama that was based in a small American town and started to watch with our snacks.

*******

The next morning Carlos left early to discuss some pack affairs with his beta so I was left on my own again. I was sat in the kitchen eating some porridge and drinking some coffee when Poppy walked in with her thermos. I smiled at her and she gave me a tight smile back.

"Hey Pops" I greeted her.

"Hi" she smiled, reaching for the coffee jug.

"Poppy, I'm sorry about yesterday. I don't want you to be scared of me. Your my sister and I love you to bits, I'd never hurt you, even with these weird powers I can't seem to control." I promised her.

She filled her thermos and sat at the island across from me. "I'm not scared of you Eva. I'm scared for you. These powers are dangerous. You are powerful and I'm sure that puts a target on your head. I watched you get attacked by someone yesterday before they even knew you had this gift."

I smiled. "You don't have to worry about me Pops. I'm going to be okay. I can handle myself and Carlos promised he'd protect me too. We will handle this."

She nodded. "I think you need to find a way to control these powers"

"Do you know a way I can learn?" I asked, hopefully.

She sighed and sat in thought for a moment. I could tell she knew something but she was battling with herself on whether or not she should tell me.

"Please Poppy. I need help with this," I begged her.

She groaned. "Okay, yes I do know someone. I don't know how trust worthy they are though."

I shrugged. "It's worth a try."

She nodded. "Okay. Her name is Ira and she's a witch who lives near the coast."

I nodded. "I'll tell Carlos about it. Don't worry we'll be careful"

"I'll go with you. She knows me. She might be more accommodating if I'm there." Poppy added.

I thought about it for a second. Why did she even know a witch? Was something going on that I didn't know about?

"Poppy. Why do you know this witch?" I frowned.

She sighed. "When you left the pack I went to her to ask her to give you a wolf. She refused and told me she couldn't mess with fate. She told me there was a reason you didn't have one and I guess now we know why"

I smiled. "That's so sweet of you to do for me Poppy."

She smiled, sadly. "I just wanted my little sister back. Our parents were in pieces about it and I just wanted to fix our family, I'm sorry I couldn't do more" Silent tears were rolling down her cheeks.

I shook my head. "It isn't your fault. You did more than enough and hey, I'm here now" I grabbed her hand.

She nodded and squeezed my hand. "Evangeline, I haven't told our parents your home. They don't know you're here"

My eyes widened slightly. "They're here? When you didn't mention them I assumed they weren't here anymore or they were dead."

She frowned. "Eva I'm sorry. I just didn't want them to see you in pain. You know them, they would've blamed themselves and been so upset. I think it's time they know though. You should come home with me and see them"

I nodded. "I understand why you did it. I wouldn't want them to see my like that. You're right. It's time I go home"

*****

My heart thumped hard in my chest as I approached the front door of my childhood home. Poppy grabbed my hand and gave it a light squeeze. I smiled at her gesture.

I hadn't told Carlos that I was visiting them. I knew he'd want to join me and I didn't want to overwhelm my parents.  It was going to be a lot for them to realise their daughter was still alive. I didn't need them finding out I'm also mated to the alpha at the same time.

I reached out towards the door but paused before I knocked. I stepped back. Was this a good idea?

"Hey, it's okay. It's our parents. They love you and will be so happy to see you" she smiled.

I nodded and took a deep breath before knocking. I was shocked by who opened the door. It wasn't my mother or father. It was a little boy. His big brown eyes looked up at me in wonder before the travelled to Poppy and a big grin spread across his face.

"Poppy!" He cried, jumping towards her.

She chuckled, catching him. "Hey, squirt"

I frowned, confused.

"Who's this?" I asked.

Poppy grinned and placed him on her hip.

"Eva, meet Jordan. Our little brother."

*****