16

We took Ira back to the infirmary to get her checked over. I refused to leave until I heard the doctor say she was alright. I wasn't confident in my healing ability. I had never used it before, so I was concerned that I hadn't done it properly. After waiting for about an hour, Ira walked out of the examination room and assured me that there was nothing wrong with her. I breathed a sigh of relief as we headed out. I apologised to her multiple times on the walk back to the pack house, but she was just happy that I had made progress with my training.

Carlos led me to his office, saying he had something to speak to me about. I was nervous because he never pulled me aside into his office. I thought it was going to be some sort of punishment for hurting Ira.

His office was cosy and simplistic. The room was about the size of a standard bedroom with plain white walls and dark wooden floor boards. He had a stunning mahogany desk in the middle of the room, and on the left-hand side of the desk was a giant window with beige curtains. In front of the window was a soft grey, velvet sofa. There were two chairs in front of his desk set out in a way you would expect in a lawyers office, and there was a grey, ergonomic chair on the other side of the desk. The room felt peaceful and comforting, perfectly designed for hours spent working.

"Take a seat," he smiled, gesturing to the chairs in front of the desk.

I nervously sat down, watching everything he did cautiously. He grabbed a file from his side of the desk and circled the desk to sit beside me. He turned the chair so it was facing me.

"You're not in trouble, love," he chuckled, noticing my face, which was giving off the vibe of a deer in headlights. This instantly made me relax. However, the anticipation was killing me.

He handed me the file in his hands and waited for me to scan through it. All that was in the file was a signed treaty between our pack and one called the Zodiac pack, as well as a contract that had no signatures on it. I read through the contract and discovered it was a marriage arrangement. My heart squeezed in an uncomfortable way.

"Before you freak out, let me explain." He must have seen the look of betrayal making its way onto my face. I looked at him expectantly, wondering why he couldn't just have explained to me first rather than giving me the file.

"So the treaty in this folder was signed about six months ago, before I met you," he started, looking nervous.

I nodded. "Okay?"

He sighed. "Obviously, the other page in there, the marriage certificate hasn't been signed yet. To put it plainly, I'm technically engaged to Alpha's daughter. This is one of the packs that has agreed to support us in our battle with Keegan. I wanted to make you aware of the situation, as I will be calling off the engagement when they arrive. I didn't want you to find out another way and take it for something that it's not."

A small smile made its way onto my face. He could have dealt with this behind my back without me ever knowing about it, but he wanted to be completely transparent with me. It reinforced the trust I had in him.

I pulled his hand into mine. "Thank you for telling me. I really appreciate you being open with me." I smiled.

He nodded. "Of course. You have been completely open with me since we met. I need to be the same so we can trust each other. "

I smiled and climbed into his lap, my small frame looking tiny against him. However, I didn't feel intimidated anymore. I felt safe and loved. Something I hadn't felt in a long while.

We sat in the chair for a while until he broke our comfortable silence. "I don't know how the Alpha will take it when I call off the engagement. We may lose their support against Keegan," He sighed, scratching his head.