17

The next day me and Ira trained harder than ever before. She pushed me to my breaking point and then a little more. She didn't stop until I was on my face in the dirt, battered, bruised and bloody. I had no more fight left. She brushed the blood off of her face and grinned.

"You're getting a lot stronger. I think we have reached your tipping point. You're going to be able to fight Keegan very soon."

She offered me her hand and hauled me to my feet, passing me a towel.

"I don't know how you drew that conclusion from this," I gestured to my beaten form.

She chuckled. "Yes you are a little battered but you're on you feet. That's a great sign," she smiled.

We walked back to the pack house and I tossed her a bottle of water from the fridge. Max walked into the kitchen, took one look at me and grimaced.

"You look a wreck." He frowned, putting his hand on my shoulder. "Are you okay?"

I brushed him off. "I'm fine. It looks worse than it feels." I chuckled. "How is Pops?"

Max smiled at the mention of his mate. Whenever someone mentioned her name, you could practically feel the love radiating off of him. I remembered when Poppy would gush about having a mate when we were younger. She always said they would do anything for her and that they would love her more than life itself. Even though, at that time she was a naïve little girl, dreaming about her prince charming, it turns out she was right. I could see how much max loved her and I knew he would lay his life down for her in a heart beat. I was so pleased for her. All I ever wanted for her was for her to find someone who would love her more than me. A hard task that Max passed with flying colours.

"She's healing well and I'm sure you can imagine all her complaining and begging me to let her get out of bed. She's stubborn," he chuckled, his eyes glinting with adoration.

I slipped away from the conversation after that, feeling gross and sticky, in desperate need of a shower. As I watched the blood and dirt wash from my skin and swirl down the drain, I heard commotion outside. I frowned and quickly finished my shower, tossed on some sweats, a tank top and throw my wet hair into a pony tail. I ran down the stairs and opened the front door to the pack house. The front door of the house overlooked a large meadow. I froze in place at what I saw at the end of the meadow. There stood Keegan and rows upon rows of wolves.

I saw a figure thundering across the meadow, towards Keegan, whose smirk widened as the figure grew closer to him. My heart squeezed in pain as I realised it was Carlos. Our pack had started forming rows behind me, Max stood in front of them. I dashed across the meadow, reaching my mate in record time. I pushed myself in front of him and put my hands on his shoulders.

"You cannot fight him alone. Remember what you said? We're going to handle this together." I pleaded.

He clenched his jaw but nodded. He grabbed my hand and we walked the rest of the way to Keegan together.

"Good evening," Keegan smirked.

"Keegan. This has got to stop. I don't want all this bloodshed to happen. Surely there's a way we can call a cease fire or something." I realised by the end of my speal I had started to plead him. However, even I knew that pleading with a madman wouldn't achieve anything good.

Keegan laughed. He grabbed his stomach as he laughed, hard and loud. "You are so funny my love," He eventually wheezed.

A low growl emitted from my mates chest at the pet name but he swallowed his rage, not wanting to start a battle that could potentially be avoided.

"My dear Evangeline. I recall telling you more than once that the only ceasefire I am interested in is the one where you come with me and become my mate. There is nothing more to discuss," He then raised his voice so my pack could hear. "This is you final chance to hand her over. If you do not, I will spill ever drop of blood from your scrawny little bodies,"