Chapter 1: Words Said In Anger

Hermione had both arms locked around the big dog's neck, holding on for grim life while her tears soaked into the mutt's black fur. Only her tight headlock was stopping the dog attacking its chosen target. The large dog was still making his intentions known though - the room reverberated to his deep barks and fierce growls.

As the door finally closed, both girl and dog slumped to the floor. All the fight had now gone out of them. The dog may have been whining but Hermione was heartbroken, she sobbed uncontrollably as the dog now tried to offer a modicum of comfort.

"Oh Snuffles, what have I done? This is all my fault…"

He just couldn't let that pass without comment. The most wanted criminal in all of Britain was now sitting on the Hogwarts infirmary floor, attempting to comfort the distraught witch. "Hermione, there is more than enough blame for tonight to cover everyone. This certainly wasn't your fault."

"If only I would learn to keep my mouth shut, this wouldn't have happened…"

-oOo- earlier -oOo-

Hermione had been living on her nerves all day, Mrs Weasley throwing her dirty looks because she believed everything written by Rita Skeeter didn't help. Today was the final task though, and it was Harry she was really worried about. He'd somehow survived the first two tasks but this one just felt different, Hermione couldn't shake the feeling something bad was going to happen.

She had no fingernails left, after sitting staring at those boring hedges. Fleur, and then Viktor, getting led out of the maze injured didn't improve her disposition in the slightest. Hermione couldn't care less who won this stupid tournament, she just wanted Harry to be alive at the end of it.

The tension steadily mounted as everyone could now sense this was taking far too long, the crowd of spectators were really getting restless before a battered and bleeding Harry arrived by portkey with the cup. The cheering ended before it had time to really begin, Harry had a dead Cedric with him too.

When Harry was eventually helped away from all the resulting madness by Professor Moody, Hermione knew there was really only one place her best friend could end up. Harry Potter was no stranger to the Hogwarts infirmary - and you didn't need to be a genius to deduce he would need Madam Pomfrey's ministrations again tonight. Grabbing Ron by the sleeve of his robes, Hermione began dragging her redheaded friend toward the castle. Mrs Weasley and Bill eventually followed them to the infirmary. Hermione wasn't interested in any speculation or small talk as they waited on Harry's arrival. All her attention was focused on the infirmary doors.

When he did finally arrive, Professor Lupin was practically carrying Harry. Padfoot was at his side as the headmaster took the totally unnecessary step of telling them Harry had a hard night, and not to badger him with questions. As Dumbledore then left, he had some grieving parents to comfort, Madam Pomfrey began her ministrations. She worked on his wounds before finishing with some dreamless sleep potion and Harry's eyes slowly closed. Hermione was sitting at the side of his bed, Harry's hand held in hers. She could feel the tremors passing through her best friend, this she now knew was the result of being under Voldemort's torture curse. As Harry lay sleeping, Professor Lupin had quietly explained to them what the young injured wizard had endured earlier tonight.

Their group's whispered conversations were soon being drowned out by a loud argument that appeared to be heading in their direction, or should that be Harry's. The screens currently around Harry's bed prevented them seeing the approaching commotion but all recognised the voices of Professors Snape and McGonagall. There was also no doubt about who they were rather loudly arguing with, the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge.