Chapter 4: It's A Secret

Hermione lay in bed beside the blonde Ravenclaw who was rapidly becoming one of her best friends. That Luna was prepared to travel to Azkaban and help Harry saw her rocketing up Hermione's admittedly not overly long list of friends. There were people in their own house who had known them both for four years now, yet seemed only too willing to believe whatever crap anyone said about Harry Potter or Hermione Granger.

Luna had met Harry last night, Hermione not until this morning, yet already she felt close to this witch. That Harry had such a high opinion of Luna certainly helped Hermione form that bond of friendship, the quirky Ravenclaw though was rather easy to like. Once you got to see the real Luna, it wasn't such a leap to becoming good friends. Looking on as Luna's physical self lay there totally unresponsive, and completely defenceless, Hermione certainly understood the girl's insistence that someone she trusted should watch over her. Knowing some of the creeps in this school, a shudder of dread ran up Hermione's spine at the thought of what could happen if any of them found Luna while she was in this condition.

Hermione knew she really should be sleeping, having no idea how long they would be, but she just couldn't. Yes she had certainly dozed while waiting on Luna and Harry but entering a deep sleep might see Hermione miss their return - that just wouldn't do. Knowing that Harry had safely returned might allow Hermione to have her best night's kip in weeks, there was no chance of that happening though before Harry and Luna were back in Hogwarts.

Luna's eyes suddenly springing open had Hermione jumping back in shock, her loud sobs soon had that direction reversed. Hermione was trying to pull Luna into her arms when she felt Harry enter her body and mind. Like Luna earlier today, Hermione didn't know if she would have been able to stop Harry taking over control of her body. Also like Luna earlier, knowing Harry wanted to help their new friend meant Hermione wouldn't even try to stop him.

She was looking at Harry's memories from tonight while he used her body to speak with Luna. Hermione quickly discovered Harry had no idea what was wrong with Luna either.

"Luna, it's Harry. Please speak to me, tell me what happened to get you like this."

Both girls were now wrapped around each other as Luna clung on, trying to draw as much comfort as possible from the contact. "Oh Harry, I'm so sorry. It was really horrible, and I had no idea what to do."

"The dementors can have that effect, Luna, I should never have let you come with me..."

"It wasn't the dementors, Harry, there was someone else in there with us. I recognised those terrible red eyes from your memory of the graveyard, Voldemort is trapped inside your head. It's Voldemort who was distorting your memories of Hermione while you fought against the effects of the dementors."

Now that Harry seemed to be in danger once more, Hermione reasserted control of her own body. The version of Harry in her head was actually too shocked at the moment to do anything about it. "Luna, you're not making any sense..."

"Hermione, for once I actually wish I was loony. I could see Voldemort but he couldn't see me - he didn't even know I was there. That's why I didn't answer any of your questions, Harry, I didn't want him to have any idea I was there with you."

"Harry says just knowing you were there helped him enormously. As you can imagine, he's a little shocked at the moment."

"Shocked would be an understatement, Hermione. I would have wet my knickers - if my spirit had been wearing any. The real horror though is I could see Voldemort's thoughts, just like we can see Harry's. It was really horrible but I knew we needed information if we were to help Harry, that's why I stayed so long. He was determined to cause Harry as much pain as possible, and his mind was wandering everywhere while he did. I know what that thing is in Harry's head, I don't know how to get it out though..."