Chapter 11: Horcruxes

Emma slipped once more into bed beside her husband and snuggled into his back, Dan wasn't sleeping though.

"Girls okay?"

"Mmmm... I just keep being woken by imagining some of those horrific things we heard about today, and I know I won't get back to sleep until I go and check they're really safe."

After returning to the cottage and having a hearty meal, the previous night being a sleepless one had combined with a stressful day to see everyone hitting their bed early. Sirius, Remus and Xeno had used their wands to transfigure two armchairs and a sofa into three comfortable looking beds, they were currently snoring in the sitting room. The occupants of the cottage were soon in the land of Nod but this was the third time Emma had woken - and then checked on the girls.

It was Dan's turn to then air something that was troubling him, something a lot nearer home than the political meltdown of wizarding Britain. "I can't believe how close those three are..." His wife chuckling was not the answer he expected to his serious concerns.

"I can. I only shared Luna for a brief time, but it was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. I can only describe it as looking right through a person and seeing their essence - their very soul. One of Luna's happiest memories is the first night Harry visited her. He said she was a beautiful person, inside and outside. With Harry visiting her mind Luna knew that's exactly what he thought - it's impossible to lie to someone in that situation. I have to agree with what Harry said, she really is a beautiful person."

This had Dan turning onto his other side so he could face his wife. "And our daughter's boyfriend kissing her best friend you've just admitted he thinks is beautiful doesn't bother you? Our Hermione is clearly besotted with this boy, I would hate to see her have her heart broken." His wife smiling was again not the reaction Dan expected.

"Never going to happen, love. Some of the things I saw while Luna visited were Harry's memories. He truly loves Hermione and is a good bet to become our son-in-law someday."

"And Luna?"

"Well, she might be our daughter-in-law..."

"What?"

"Shush, love. It may not happen - and if it does, it will only do so because our daughter wants it to."

"You wouldn't have mentioned it if you didn't at least consider that outcome as a possibility."

Emma tried to explain what she'd glimpsed to her husband. "Hermione and Harry have been in love for a while. Harry's upbringing though was not the best, leaving it difficult for him to deal with or even recognise his emotions. Visiting the girls has helped him immensely, and also benefited them too. When have you ever seen Hermione so confident in herself and her actions - so happy even?"

Dan had no answer to that as his wife then pressed home her advantage, providing more revelations as she did so. "The feelings between the three are new - they haven't known Luna a week yet - but because of this roving those feelings are incredibly strong. Whether Luna remains their best friend or becomes something more will probably be decided over the next couple of months - and again it will only happen if Hermione wants it too. Neither Harry nor Luna would ever hurt our daughter. Anyone wanting to harm either of those girls is going to have to kill Harry first. As we saw today, that's not an easy thing to do..." Emma then melted into the strong arms of her husband, drawing comfort from the familiar embrace.