Chapter 3: Trapped in Amber

Hermione clearly felt the concern in Harry's voice as he enquired after her health, it was doing funny things to her insides. "I'm fine Harry, I've just not been sleeping well." She opened her eyes and didn't see his mesmerising green ones looking down at her. Instead, Hermione found herself flat on the floor, with her head laying on Luna Lovegood's lap.

"I think maybe I should have warned you first, Hermione. Then again, you probably wouldn't have believed me anyway."

She shot out of Luna's lap as what had happened came rushing back. "Harry?"

"I'm here Hermione, with you."

Looking around the room for her best friend, Hermione was reaching for her wand as she asked Luna a question. "How is this possible?"

Luna reached out and gently stopped Hermione drawing her wand. "Harry, let me try and explain it. You can shown Hermione anything that will help her understand. Like me, Hermione, Harry is a spirit rover."

"Harry's a dog?"

"No, Hermione, it has nothing to do with his godfather - and yes I know about Sirius. Also, like me, Harry didn't know he was a rover until he actually did it. Spirit roving allows your spirit, some would say your soul, to leave your body and go wandering. I found Harry wandering the corridors last night and invited him in, he spent the night with me..."

Seeing Harry's memories was a much faster process than listening to Luna's explanation. Hermione had seen his journey to and then from Azkaban, also his two disastrous attempts at making contact in the castle. She was about to enlighten him on a few points when Luna's last phrase struck home.

"You spent the night with Luna..." More memories added to her tirade. "...and had a shower with her this morning too?"

Luna decided to put a stop to this at once. "Hermione, did you have a shower this morning?"

"Of course I did, what has that got to do with anything?"

"Well, you will have just thought about it - and Harry will have seen your memory too - so we're now even." Hermione was blushing and spluttering but Luna wouldn't let up.

"You were the last thing your boyfriend thought of last night before I fell asleep, and the first person he thought of this morning when I woke up. He loves you very much. Harry offered to be my friend. Since that would make him my only friend, I am more than happy with that."

Luna could see Hermione having a conversation with Harry, even heard her verbally apologise to him repeatedly, she needed the couple to quickly get past this phase though. "I need you to help Harry, Hermione, his life is in very real danger. At the moment, I hope we all agree that saving Harry is the most important thing here. You might have to pass him back to me to allow you to think clearly."

From the time she'd set Snape's robes on fire back in her first year, saving Harry was the most important thing to Hermione too. She felt rather than heard a chuckle as Harry spoke to Hermione in her mind.

"Watching that memory was brilliant, thanks again Hermione. Eh, you do know I'm talking about the one where you set Snape's robes on fire? There are simply no words to describe how beautiful the other memory was I just saw."

While Hermione might have been blushing, she also wore a large smile. Harry found he could let Hermione view memories of Luna's he'd seen. Seeing the little blonde locked out of her dorm on a cold winter's night meant Hermione was always going to help Luna as well. She was still sitting on the floor, facing the somewhat strange girl.