Chapter 18: A Wolf in No Clothing

Summer 1995

As the group were slowly meandering their way across Europe, searching for something none of them yet knew what, the trio couldn't really practice any magic. What they could practice however was becoming animagi. Since this was something Luna was really keen on learning, that was what they did. The week after they'd buried Xeno, Harry was burrowing through Sirius' memories of the animagus process.

This then became what must be one of the strangest games ever played by teens on a long car journey. If they weren't visiting each other to pass on information, they were meditating to try and find their animal form. When Luna discovered she was a wolf, she was soon sharing with the other two how that discovery had been reached.

Dan sat shaking his head that night as the group celebrated all three discovering that they would transform into wolves, however that wouldn't be until after mastering becoming animagi. This was just another strange milestone in what their life had now become. Seeing how happy Hermione, and even Emma were though meant Dan had no regrets about the decisions they had made. That Luna seemed to be wearing a genuine smile again for the first time since losing her father was certainly an occasion worthy of a celebration.

Further progress in their transformations however was about as fruitful as their search for whatever they were looking for on their odyssey through Europe. It was then that Harry had the crazy idea of visiting Sirius while he changed into Padfoot. This suggestion was duly kicked back and forth a few times between all of them in what was quickly becoming their new norm for making important decisions that affected the family. No one actually knew if this suggestion was even possible. Eventually the deciding factor was none of them could see this being dangerous to either Harry or Sirius, so those two gave it a shot.

This proved to be a massive success and saw Harry learning not only about the transformation process, but also how it felt to inhabit a body that had four legs and a tail. Less than an hour later, Harry was able to transform his hands and arms. Both Remus and Sirius were amazed at the size of those paws but Dan had another concern, one that stopped all three of them practicing this stage while he was driving.

Dan glancing in his rear view mirror and seeing a bloody great wolf looking back at him could cause them to crash. It was only two days later however when Harry managed to complete his transformation. While the three females were all over Harry in his wolf form - like he was some cute puppy they just had to pat - Dan was left wondering if it was just the fact they were in a hotel room that made this canine seem so huge. One glance at Sirius and Remus answered his question, both were standing there dumbstruck. It was Remus of course who recognised Harry's form, a dire wolf.

Harry transformed back and both girls confirmed their forms were exactly the same species. Remus then sat and explained what a dire wolf actually was. Dan took it as being like an ordinary wolf but a bigger, stronger subspecies that was now considered extinct. Outside a few magical forests, Remus confirmed the dire wolf actually was.

With their sharing abilities, and Harry always spending his nights visiting the girls, Hermione and Luna managed their transformations the following day. As it was approaching the full moon, all three wanted to run with Remus and Sirius. Emma wasn't sure whether this would be safe, thus causing Dan to burst into laughter.

"Emma, stand back and take a good look at them - but don't see Hermione, Luna or Harry. There is nothing living wild about here that will go anywhere near those three, far less try and attack them. They are also smart enough not to stray too close to areas that have people living there."