Chapter 20: A Walk Down in the Aisle

Voldemort - Deceased

Dumbledore - Defunct

Potter - Departed

Ron didn't require an Outstanding in his divination exam later today to predict the future furore those Prophet headlines would generate. There was an expectant silence hanging over the great hall as people crowded around those with an issue of today's newspaper. Apart from being very vague about Harry and Luna's sharing abilities, everything else was laid out in vivid detail. Luna's heroics, Dumbledore's deception, Voldemort and his remaining Death Eaters demise along with Ginny's betrayal were graphically described in gut wrenching accuracy.

He worried over his sister. Ron didn't see any way Ginny could ever walk back into Hogwarts after this, she probably couldn't walk down Diagon Alley either. It actually got worse for Ginny's case on the inside pages of the newspaper. The Prophet had run the same picture of the trio standing up to the dementors in Diagon Alley, though this time with a different headline. 'Heroes Betrayed' really summed the situation up nicely, and doomed those doing the betraying to a life of hell in Britain.

When Draco stood and started applauding in the direction of the staff table, Ron scanned down the page to see Professor Snape was being awarded an Order of Merlin, First Class. This proposal may have come from the new Minister of Magic, Madam Amelia Bones, but she made plain the nomination for the award came directly from Harry Potter. Thus practically guaranteeing it sailed through the Wizengamot vote with a positive result.

Ron then stood and began applauding the professor too, taking most of Gryffindor with him. Looking over to his also standing twin brothers, all three shared the same thoughts. Without Professor Snape, Harry and Luna would probably have perished. Any chance Ginny had of avoiding capital punishment would have perished with them. She would soon have had her wish to be with Harry granted, Ginny would have been dead too. None of the three brothers had any doubt Snape had also saved their sister's life that night.

With the entire great hall now on their feet, including the staff, Severus was left with no choice but to stand and take a bow. That this then saw the cheering increase almost had him blushing. He still intended to inform Minerva she would need a new defence professor for September, he would though now at least stay in Hogwarts until the end of the week. He would need to wait on the ministry contacting him anyway.

Alongside his qualifications, now having an Order of Merlin, First Class, to his name meant Severus Snape shouldn't have any trouble finding a new job anywhere. Things had certainly taken an upturn in his life.

-oOoOo-

Albus Dumbledore couldn't say the same, quite the opposite in fact. The stares he was being greeted with this morning were verging on hostile, that was until Tom spotted him. Their was no mistaking the proprietor of the Leaky Cauldron's emotions, he was serving up pure hostility - with more than a dash of anger on the side.

"Pack yer bag and sling yer hook. You're not welcome here."

"I paid for a room and breakfast…"

"You'll be getting your money back, I don't want it. I watched that brave lass lose her father in the Alley that day last year, she fought like a tiger at Harry and Hermione's side. What gave you the right to send her up against that dark bastard? It wasn't her job to deal with the likes o' that - it was yours! Get your stuff and get out, you're barred from my pub as long as I'm the landlord."