Is it that bad?

When I heard that statement leave Satou sans mouth I froze, with a look of utter shock I tried to formulate a sentence as to counter her; but I couldn't.

I couldn't do it. I had agreed in my mind that Satou san was right.

"Mii-chan likes Ayanokouji kun..." It was as clear as day now that I look in between the lines, how she never went away from him.

Clinging onto him like a parasite. No, it wasn't like a parasite. It was like she was just keeping him, a selfish desire that came at the cost of others. Satou san must've realised it, that thought of her stringing us along.

Yet I didn't want to believe it, I know Ayanokouji kun is much smarter than I am and that's the reason as to why I approached him for advice, if he knew something was off about her then he would tell me.

"Wait... Was this the reason as to why he wanted me to confront her earlier?" Once again I dove into my thoughts. "I may know Ayanokouji kun as a friend, but the way he spoke to me at that time made me rethink how to see him, if he had already realised it...
Then, was he trying to tell me in an indirect way? But why? Wouldn't it have been easier to tell me straightforwardly? Also the suffering of Mii-chan... I get that I am breaking her heart but... he talks of me doing it as torture." I clenched my fists in frustration.

"Hirata kun..." I was brought back to reality by the sound of Satou sans voice, looking around the table I had realised that I dove too deep into my thoughts, the same way Satou san had been the whole time.

"Sorry, must've spaced out..." With my short response my peers looked at me, their looks of worry lessened as Karuizawa san continued after Satou san.

"Yeah... anyways, Satou san. What you are basically saying is that Ayanokouji kun likes Mii-chan and she reciprocates it... quite a troublesome situation for you." She closed her eyes as she finished her input, with her ears perked up as to hear out Satou sans response.

I know that Karuizawa san has probably taken a liking to Ayanokouji kun, well she even started calling him by his given name; but I had noticed that she became distant from him. Whether it was because he asked her to or if she had done so on her own volition, I don't know. Nonetheless, that wasn't important. What was important was to figure out Mii-chans intentions, although I can't tell the others about it except for possibly Satou san, I can't come up with a way to divert the attention from the topic of her leading us on.

I know that they know that Mii-chan likes me, it was as clear as day whenever they cheered her on in the background or when Mini-chan approached me they knew not to interfere.

Yet the fact of the matter is that Mii-chan is leading the both of us in won't leave my head, it will remain implanted there until I make the right choice and leave her on Christmas Eve, when I do that then maybe.

Just maybe, Ayanokouji kun can love her the way I couldn't.

But does he really deserve that, to know the reason as to why he got her was because I rejected her. But I can't shake the thought of him thinking of himself as a rebound.

It seems like I let myself go there for a bit, the conversation around the table was flowing like water once again, Satou san even joined in.

"What happened to incite such a change?" I wondered.

"You guys... did something happen?" I asked that question with utter curiosity and confusion, one minute ago the atmosphere of the table was sullen and quiet, the next it was lively.

Satou san hearing my words smiled, for the first time since she sat down I could see her face show levity.

"I just found my resolve!" With an excited tone she announced the reason as to why the table was energetic, it seemed like everyone except me who was daydreaming had supported her.