A Familiar Face

||Varay Aurae||

"Alright, you've done well. Five minutes rest, and we'll continue dueling again." My mentor announced as my knees buckled due to the fatigue.

I huffed one more time before slamming my towel straight at my face that was drenched in sweat. Untying my hair I walked out of the backyard to the table on the porch.

"You did well, milady." Cierra, my maid, remarked.

"Thank you, I could use a cup of water and an apple." I requested, she bowed down and went to the kitchen while I crashed down on the wooden seat, still catching my breath.

The weather was fine today, the grass was mellow and green; I could hear the birds chirping nearby as they perched on the branches of the elegant Red Maple in our yard.

"So, are you ready to hear my critique?" He asked with a warm smile.

"Well, I can't keep you waiting all day now can't I?" I retorted.

"So far you're doing just fine, honestly. You're becoming more and more comfortable with moving while casting spells, which will help you in the future. Still rough around the edges but with a couple more practices you'll get there, your techniques are great but the execution is off." My mentor reamarked.

"Milady, your refreshments have arrived." Cierra pushed a small trolley with a cup and a vase of water along with a basket of red apples.

"Thank you, Cierra. You can have some of the apples if you want." I thanked her.

"It won't be necessary, milady. Please enjoy." She replied sheepishly.

"Well," I turned to my mentor, "Dig in."

"I'll be fine. And you better hurry up, you only have two minutes left." He reminded me.

Five minutes was a short break, and he knew it. But it's not like I can complain. It's been five years since my first day of training. I should get used to it by now.

"Alright, break time is over. Let's break down and rehearse what went wrong." My said as he tied up his loose white hair.

.

.

.

.

"Now that we've warmed up. Let's try applying what we've relearned." My mentor announced.

I lowered my stance and angled my sword forward. Breathing in, I concentrated, absorbed, and felt every mana particle around me; I exhaled and augmented every inch of my body before quickly dashing towards him.

Three steps was all that it took to bridge the gap, I swung my sword diagonally, he raised his guard, blocking my attack. I retreated, reapproaching him from his left flank while three javelins made of ice began to form beside me. My right ankle twisted to the left, realigning myself as I stretched my left hand forward sending the icicles racing towards him.

He did nothing but dodge them effortlessly, taking a few steps to the right. As we entered into close combat I froze the ground making it harder for him to move around without slipping.

"Not bad." He commended before flames that were dimly lit in ashen black erupted from his feet, melting the ice below him.

I slashed left and right while he parried my attacks. Our swords clashed and clanged as they made contact even with the blades being blunt due to mana reinforcement. Each attempt I made in an effort to weaken his guard was met with a facile block that only required him one hand in his sword. I backed off yet again, conceding and thinking of any other way to expose him.