A Night of (Mis)Fortune I

||Grey Hierghund||

"Viscount Norock's festivity is sure, grandiose."

"I am interested in meeting these Hierghunds, I wonder where are they?"

"I hear a rumor about..."

"Norock certainly..."

"We proceed as planned. Remember your assignment." 

"I wonder where the wine is..."

"Rumors say that Lord Beathan will attend the party..."

"Is it true?!"

"The boss is watching."

"He never gave me up! Can you believe that?"

A sea of voices floods my ears as I leaned on the second-floor railings to observe the lively commotion below. No one but a glass filled with red wine accompanied me here, I'm merely fulfilling my role as a passive observer. The crowd reminded me of an excerpt from a novel I used to read back then. It was as the words described, class.

The evening is as grand as Norock and Father hoped it to be. The mansion permeates with golden light outshining the moon. The guests make themselves comfortable, parading inside the estate's manor along the red carpet placed to serve as a walkway. Dresses with exquisite designs drape the black-and-white tiled floors, while the men wear decedent suits with golden or silver trimmings. Much to my expectation's disappointment, none of them wore powdered wigs. There goes the typical stereotype that always humored me.

Despite the mass of people waiting, there was no sign of them, yet.

My eyes scan the crowd below to reassure my assumption that I was right. So far, these were lower houses, but I am starting to see not-so-prominent figures such as Viscount Welton, The Earl of Carn, and Mayburn appear altogether, which made sense as they were distant cousins.

Immediately, the scent of rich perfumes enters their noses, soothing them. A sizeable number of people greet them, exchanging laughs, small talk, handshakes, and alike.

Needless to say, the atmosphere was brimming with the spirit of festivity while the crystal chandeliers glittered through the waiting area. 

What a splendid overture.

Not long after, the chordophones echoed throughout. It was time for the main event. The guests make their way up the stairs, following the trail of music laid by the ensemble, the composition reminding me of Schubert's Das Forellen Quintet, the trout quintet. 

I leave my post and chug the wine, seeing as the second phase of the event is at Eve. My feet's steps softly echoed as I made my way to the other section of the estate. Passing by was a "butler," with his right hand pillaring a round tray filled with wineglasses half-filled. 

I nod once, to which he returned the gesture, his left hand slipping a note into my breast pocket while I placed my emptied glass on his tray. I unfold the paper to read the contents, my pace not waning. Punctuality was of the essence.

4 a-e, Qir viehc, qiix omxglir

-Wzvr

He's getting the hang of using the cipher, good.

Men ready, meet kitchen

-Svrn

Truly, the night will be eventful. My mouth instinctively curls to a smile as the adrenaline fills my entire body. It was, for the lack of a better word, thrilling.

||Varay Aurae||

"We made it in time." Mother peers out the window as soon as the music begins to hum, the volume increasing every so slightly as the carriage draws near the entrance.