Between The Lines

||Diane Dowlin||

The ballroom was busy, with everyone preparing for tomorrow's event. The house's servants darted to and fro, from replacing the curtains to rolling out the carpets. It was chaos, but at the same time, it was organized as no one seemed to intervene or bump into the other.

"Have you seen Mother?" I approached Lady Joanne, who was the closest in proximity.

She turns towards me, dusting her white apron and smiling warmly, "I'm afraid I haven't noticed her presence, milady. Perhaps the others would know of her whereabouts."

"I'll be on my way now then." I bid her farewell. As I walk across, ducking and shuffling to avoid any mishaps.

The entire place was lavishly ornamented. It glistened in pristine white, gold, and hazel brown thanks to the four cylindrical crystal chandeliers hanging, evenly spaced apart on the four corners of the room. The ceiling itself was sloped upwards and was made with chiseled white limestone, the embellishments creating fancy floral patterns.

Sixteen pillars supported the structure, eight on the left and eight on the right side. They were red on the body but colored with gold on the ends. To the left flank of the building was an array of six tall windows that were in the middle of two pillars each. They showed a great view of the outside and were also doors that served as access points to the balcony.

The floor itself was made of thousands of cut marble tiles. They displayed a symmetrical pattern of blacks and whites. The servants were replacing the red curtains hanging on the windows with purple. Rectangular tables were stationed on the right side of the room, draped in white linen with gold accents.

It wasn't as grand as the ballrooms of the higher estates, but it sure was made with the same intention and use.

My eyes spot a sizeable conglomerate of house staff gathered on the other side of the room, which must be where Mom is.

"Mother!" I called out as I approached the crowd, the servants making way as they heard my voice.

"What is it, my child?" She asked, looking earnestly at the white envelope in my hands.

"It's a letter from Lord Beathan."

||Grey Hierghund||

"We have a deal," Reoite answered, uncrossing his arms. His right hand reached for the small stamp that was on his desk and hovered over the opening of the white envelope. With a firm thump, red wax plastered itself on the parchment before quickly cooling off as soon as the stamp press was hoisted. 

The tension from the negotiations was alleviated, and I inclined back from my chair, with a light exhale exiting my mouth. Their expressions brightened as the men shook their hands with Alexander sliding the envelope toward his coat's pocket. Everything took as long as I expected, Reoite was a piece of work to deal with. 

"Our ventures shall pave the way for change in this continent!" Father proclaimed with a determined grin. His stern eyes shone brightly, as opposed to the inflexible and reserved demeanor that Reoite always displays. Yet, in his eyes, I could also see his satisfaction with how things went.

I finished the last drops of tea from my cup, promptly standing up and lightly bowing to Reoite. He acknowledged my gesture before motioning to the both of us to follow him outside. There was a door behind us, it wasn't there before...

"If I may, milord. The architecture of the manor has never failed to impress me." Alexander commented with a fascinated gaze as his eyes scanned the room with awe.

What Reoite pulled there caused a sudden fluctuation of magic around us. It wasn't just the mana that reacted. Aether was present, I'm sure of it. Ice was only there to cover up what really had happened and which force altered reality. I thought only the teleportation gates in this continent were the ones that had such capabilities. This household never ceases to pique my interest.