Chapter 6

Me: What?

Me: What do you mean by that?

Unknown: Jake, I have to go now.

Unknown: I will talk to you later.

Unknown: Please take care.

Me: okay, you take care too.

(Unknown is offline)

(Jake is offline)

MC’s POV:

It felt so good finally talking to him after all these months. I feel so relieved.

Just when I was about to tell him more about my new mission, Justin, my assistant knocked on my office door.

"I am really sorry to disturb you, but can I talk to you ma’am?" He politely asked.

"Yes, of course Justin, what is it?" I replied.

"I was searching for more files regarding sir Jake’s case, but I found something way more interesting."

"That’s good. What did you find? And first of all, you don’t have to call him that… just simply call him Jake."

"But ma’am-"

"Justin, what is it that you found?"

"Umm, oh yes, while searching for more related files, I came across a similar case about a guy named- Steven. He was a wanted hacker too and surprisingly he was wanted for the same crime as sir J- I mean Jake."

"So you think that these two cases might be connected?"

"I am not sure but I have got a feeling that this might be useful for us, ma’am."

"Well done, Justin. Show me those files once."

"Here you are, ma’am."

I read through the files and was shocked to see the similarity between the two cases.

"So, apparently, one of his team members ditched him and exposed him by sending a mail containing proofs against him anonymously to the police. The police immediately took action and tracked Steven down. Though he tried hiding from them, but I think he wasn’t as good in hiding as Sir- I mean Jake." Justin shared, looking through some other files.

"This is really interesting. What else do you know?"

"So, he was sentenced to 7 years in prison and is still serving his sentence." He looked up to me.

"How much time is left for him to serve?" I asked.

"13 months and 9 days, ma’am."

"Hmm. Okay. I need to meet this Steven. Maybe Jake and him were related to that same illegal organization."

"That could be a possibility ma’am."

"Justin, I need to discuss Jake’s case with you, but not here in my office. We are going to my second house in the woods."

"As you say, ma’am."

We sat in my car, me being in the driver’s seat and Justin in the front passenger seat and we drove off to my house in the woods.

"May I ask you something ma’am?" Justin asked a bit hesitantly.

"Yes, you may, Justin."

"Why do we always go to your house to discuss about Jake’s case? I mean, why not discuss it in your office?"

"You very well know that I cannot risk letting anyone else except you know that I am in contact with Jake. I am doing this just to protect him. I cannot afford to make even the slightest of mistake, Justin. We never know when we're being spied in my own office." I sighed.

"I understand ma’am."

"Justin?"

"Yes ma’am?"

"You always prove to me that choosing you as my assistant was one of the best decisions of my life. Thank you for working with me, Justin. I really appreciate you."

"That’s really my pleasure ma’am. Thank you for always trusting and confiding in me." He gave me a small smile which I returned.