Vampire Filled Weekend Part 2

As promised, Mark and Jackson turned up at my doorstep Sunday morning. We headed out on the bikes again, going out of town, rather than back in. We drove for a fair while until we got to a turn off down an old dirt road. Jackson turned down the road first, Mark following. I looked to my right as trees flew past us. I kept watching the trees, not really focusing until Mark's voice broke me out of my trance.
'Kora, you may want to hold on a bit tighter.' I did as told and let out a surprised yelp as we went over a ditch in the road. Eventually we slowed down and came to a stop. Mark cut off the engine and got off, me following. Jackson made his way towards me as Mark wondered off, a few meters away from Jackson and me.
'Jackson, where are we?'
'Mark's old place.' I blinked slowly as I processed what he said.
'Why'd you bring me here?'
'Mark thought it would be good for you to see where he grew up. You'll understand why when you see it.' He started walking over to Mark and I followed. Mark stood in front of what seemed like the ruins of a doorway.
'We don't have to do this Mark.'
'She has a right to know Jackson. Besides, I wanted to show her this.' With that, Mark stepped in through the doorway, Jackson and I following suit. I looked around, stopping at the entrance to a room.

Taking in my surroundings, I saw a scratched up couch and rug. Turning around, Jackson stood at the top of a staircase that lead into a basement. I wondered over and he took me down the stairs. Memories made their way into my head as we got to the bottom of the stairs, reminding me of my own imprisonment. Mark stood near the far left wall, staring down at something. Jackson stayed at the base of the stairs.
'Kora. Come here.' I listened to Mark and made my over to where he stood.
'Mark, why did you bring me here?'
'To show you my family's history.' I looked down and saw remains of a body, embedded into the ground.
'I didn't have the best upbringing. My parents left me in this house, my grandparents were supposed to be here but they had left before I arrived. So, instead of my grandparents waiting for me, there was just a big, old empty house. Jackson wasn't allowed to visit, my parents made that clear to his. But, one night he snuck out and came to get me. My parents were on their way to check on me that night. Jackson got here before they did and snuck in. He found me in the basement. As Jackson reached out to me, my parents found us. They knocked Jackson out and chained me to the wall. I got beaten pretty badly. Jackson eventually gained consciousness, but by then I had bled so much, I was almost dead. With all the blood, Jackson almost couldn't contain himself. He had this pained look on his face as he stood up and walked towards me. He asked me if I wanted to die or live. I don't remember what I answered. But after that all I could remember was Jackson's red eyes before I blacked out. When I woke up, Jackson was sitting away from me, just apologizing over and over. I asked him what happened and all he could get out was sorry.'
'Because I was so angry at myself for what I did to you.' Mark looked over at Jackson who was leaning against the staircase rail.
'You saved me Jackson.'
'I also destroyed your family.'
'No you didn't. I did.' Mark looked down at the embedded bones, eyes narrowing slightly.
'Wait, let me get this straight, Jackson turned you into a vampire and then you killed your parents?' Mark nodded.
'I was thirsty, but Jackson and his family taught me how to live off animal blood, and human food.'
'You guys drink animal blood like me?'
'Yeah. Anyway, since my past is out of the way, what about yours Kora?'
'I'd rather talk somewhere else...' Mark looked over my shoulder at Jackson and nodded. I didn't want to stay in this basement any longer. Jackson and Mark looked at each other for a minute, but before I could say anything Mark interrupted.
'Good idea.' I looked at the two, before realizing what was happening.
'Did you just read his mind?' Mark nodded and headed over to the stairs. We all went up and left the house.
'How long have you been a vampire?' I asked Mark.
'Since I was thirteen. So a few years.'
'You got used to it that quickly?' Mark smiled.
'Yeah, living with vampires helps.'
'Mark~ come on.' Jackson called from up ahead.
'We're coming! Man, he's so impatient.' Mark shook his head, a smile tugging at the corner of his lips. We ended up in a small little courtyard. Sitting on the remains of an old stone wall, the three of us looked around until Mark spoke up.
'So, what happened in your past?' I hesitated before looking down at my hands as I spoke.
'I was three when I found out what I was. My older brother, Drake took my birth mother's photo from my father's study, sat me down on my bed in our shared bedroom and told me. My father found out what Drake did and dragged me down to the basement, pushing me down the stairs and leaving me at the bottom. Twelve years later, Drake and my dad left. A year later, the Henry's moved in. I hid away in the basement for a few weeks until I was found by Grandma. They took me in and cared for me' Mark and Jackson were quiet. The wind blew around us, ruffling only Mark's hair as Jackson's was under a cap and mine was tied up.
'I'm sorry about your dad and brother leaving you behind.' I smiled and turned to Mark.
'I'm not. If they took me with them, I wouldn't have met you two.' They both smiled and Jackson hugged me.
'Well, we are great friends aren't we?' I smiled, hugging him back and nodding.
'For my first friends, you guys are pretty awesome.' Mark joined in on the hug and we sat there, just hugging each other.

Eventually I pulled away and stood up.
'Since I'm going to be attending school on Monday, is there anything I should know about before I go?' Jackson nodded.
'Avoid the popular kids if you want to survive high school they're pretty rough with kids who they think are a threat. Mark and I are left untouched because we stay away from them. Just hang out with us and you'll be fine.' I nodded and turned to Mark, who looked troubled.
'Mark, what's wrong?'
'There's just this one kid...he's nothing but trouble.'
'Who is he?'
'Kai Jekyll. He's a breather, but don't trust him. He'll play with you until he gets bored, then he'll throw you away.'
'How do you know?'
'Because Mark was once Kai's friend.' I turned to Jackson, than back to Mark.
'Really?' Mark nodded.
'I was still getting used to being a vampire and I was stupid, I wanted power over people...my friendship with Jackson almost got ruined because of it...'
'What happened?' Instead of Mark answering, Jackson did.
'Kai threw him away after he used him to get to me. Kai trapped me after school in an alleyway. Mark found us though, almost killed Kai and his lackeys. Luckily we vampires can wipe memories.'
'Are you guys sure you're okay with being my friend? I don't want to come between you guys...' Jackson grinned and put an arm around my shoulder.
'It's fine, alright? Besides we have the bond of brothers.' I laughed and looked at my phone. A text from Sue popped up and I quickly read it.
'Grandma just texted me, she wants to know if you guys wanted to come over for lunch.'
'Yeah, I'll just text mum.' Jackson pulled out his phone while Mark stood, looking over his shoulder.
'If you guys can come, we should probably head back now.' The boys nodded and Jackson held up his phone.
'Mum's all good with it.' We headed back to the bikes, throwing on our helmets and driving off. Sue greeted us at the door when we arrived and lead us into the kitchen. The three of us sat on the bench stools and waited as Sue served up three plates full of teriyaki beef and rice. We all dug in, not really planning on starting up any conversations. After a while Jackson's phone buzzed and he picked it up, frowning.
'Thank you for having us for lunch Mrs Henry, but we need to go, my mother needs us home.' Sue nodded.
'It's a pleasure having you boys over. Kora, walk them to the door.' I got up and headed to the door with them, not missing the worry on Jackson's face.
'Why do you need to go home?' Jackson's frightened expression didn't change.
'Family stuff.' And with that he walked out the door. Mark headed out after him, concern all over his face. I stood at the door, watching until they were out of sight. Heading back inside, I went up to my bedroom, sat on my bed and looked out my window. Jackson looked freaked out after he looked at his phone. I needed to get their numbers tomorrow morning before school. I wondered what school will be like, I had no idea what I was supposed to do. I hoped Mark and Jackson would help me, it was going to be tough. I wondered if that Kai kid was as bad as they said he was. I guess I would just have to hang around Mark and Jackson, if they were okay with it. Ugh, I really needed to quit overthinking things. Night came quickly and soon enough I was being called down for dinner.

Half way through dinner the phone rang and I got up to answer it.
'Hello?'
'Kora? It's Jackson. Can you meet me out back at the fence line? Please.'
'Yeah sure. I'll be out in a few. But, how do you have our home number?'
'Your grandma gave it to us.' Was all he said before he hung up. I excused myself and rushed outside. Jackson was standing by the fence, a figure leaning heavily on him. As I got closer I noticed the figure was Mark.
'What happened?' I stared at Mark, blood staining his shirt. Jackson huffed and stared at Mark, who had his eyes closed.
'Stupid idiot wrestled with a freaking bear.' My eyes widened in shock and darted back to Mark's shirt.
'But, that blood doesn't look fresh...there's no injury?'
'That's because we heal quickly.' Both Jackson and I stared at Mark as he slowly opened his eyes.
'Why did you even think of going for the bear?'
'It was sneaking up behind Jackson while he fed off a deer, I wasn't going to let him die.' Jackson sighed.
'Yeah okay, now you need food but you're too weak to even hunt.'
'I could go get something.' I said. Mark shook his head.
'You should go back inside and get ready for tomorrow. We'll meet you out the front of your place.' I was going to protest but he gave that look that said to just listen. So I did. I went back inside and up to my bedroom. As I got ready for bed, I smelt blood. Not animal blood, vampire blood. They told me to stay inside so I'd go ask them what it was tomorrow. I flicked off my bedroom light and settled into bed. Tomorrow was going to be a challenge.