Dying

I walked into the hospital, going straight to Kai's room. As soon as I opened the door, tears fell down my face. Kai sat up in his bed, smiling at me.
'Hey angel.' I ran over, crying as we hugged.
'Do you know how worried I was?! I thought you were going to die and never wake up!' Kai chuckled weakly, pulling away from the hug.
'I promised I'd never leave you, this is me keeping that promise.' He wiped away my tears, cringing in pain and retracting his arms.
'Are you alright?' He nodded, putting an arm around his abdomen.
'Just hurts a little is all.' Patting the spot next to him on the bed, Kai smiled at me as I sat down on the bed beside him. I put my head on his shoulder and he grabbed my hand. Reaching down on his other side, Kai picked up my jacket and placed it on my lap.
'Doctor said you forgot this a few days ago so they put it on the table next to me. He said it was on my hands when he found it. Also, I believe that is my hoodie.' I smiled and put his hoodie on the chair next to the bed.
'Your hands were cold...I thought it could warm them up.' Kai smiled and kissed my cheek.
'I missed you while I was gone.'
'I missed you while you were gone and in that coma.'
'How long was I out for?'
'Around a week I think.'
'Do you know if my parents are ok?' I gripped his hand a little tighter and closed my eyes.
'They've been resting at home since they got out of the hospital, a day after the accident. They only have internal bruising which will probably almost be gone by now.' Kai sighed and placed his head on top of mine.
'That's my parents for you. Won't even come to check up on me.'
'I was here every day, just waiting for you to wake up. I cried myself to sleep a lot too.' Kai moved some hair out of my face and pulled me closer.
'I'm sorry.'
'You don't need to be sorry. It wasn't your fault.'
'In a way it was, you heard everything through the phone didn't you?' I nodded and looked at our intertwined hands.
'I did.'
'And if I hung up beforehand you wouldn't have heard anything and wouldn't have cried as much.'
'If you hung up suddenly I would've freaked out and even if I didn't hear the accident, I still would have cried myself to sleep each night, but at least the nightmares wouldn't of been there.' Kai squeezed my hand.
'I'm sorry...I must've put you through hell.' Shaking my head, I leaned into him.
'I'm just glad you're awake. I held onto your hand the other day, I was ready to give up but your fingers moved. I was so happy.' Kai laughed.
'I'm never leaving you again, I swear this time is the last. I won't go anywhere. I'll stay by your side forever.' I smiled but inside I was frowning. I would stop aging at twenty one, he would keep on getting older and eventually die. Pushing that thought aside, I remembered about his heart.
'How's your heart going?'
'Fine. Why?'
'The doctor didn't tell you?'
'Tell me what?' Biting my lip, I looked down, not sure if I should say anything.
'Kora, tell me what?'
'Your heart failed twice while you were in the coma...' Kai went silent for a bit before turning his head to look at me.
'Why?'
'You don't know?'
'Know what? Kora I haven't been told much about the actual accident.'
'A metal pole from the truck punctured your heart. The doctor said it's fine now but I'm worried about you...' Kai looked down, his eyes focusing on our hands.
'So...I have a hole in my heart?'
'Yeah...' Kai's head fell onto my shoulder and he clenched onto my hand tighter.
'This isn't fair on you.'
'What do you mean?'
'I just keep bringing you misery. First you got pushed down the stairs by Caleb and Seth...now this. I'm not exactly the best boyfriend am I?' Lifting his head up with my free hand, I stared into his eyes.
'You're the best dammed boyfriend and I wouldn't change that for the world. I'm not losing you and I'm not leaving your side. And you sure as hell don't bring me misery, I'm very happy around you' Kai smiled and closed his eyes.
'I love Kora. More than you think.'
'I love you too Kai.' He kept the smile on his face as he opened his eyes. I looked at him as he leaned in closer, eventually closing his eyes and kissing me. My eyes slipped shut as we kissed, my arms wrapping themselves around his neck. Kai's arms wrapped themselves around my waist and he pulled me closer.

Pulling away for air, I leaned my forehead on his and smiled. Kai pulled me in closer than before and hugged me.
'Are you really not leaving my side?'
'I'm not. Not ever.'
'Kora...'
'What?'
'When you hit twenty one you're going to stop aging...I'll keep on growing older though.'
'Kai...'
'What are you going to do? You'll stay young and beautiful for all of eternity and I'll keep on getting old until I die. Do you really want to stay by my side when I turn thirty? Forty? Fifty? Sixty? Kora you're going to grow tired of me eventually.'
'Kai, I will never grow tired of you.'
'You will! Kora once I'm over thirty you're not going to want me around anymore.'
'Why are we even discussing this right now? Kai we're only sixteen.' Kai looked down, his voice going to a whisper.
'Kora...I don't know if I can handle living without you.' My eyes travelled down and Kai grabbed my hand.
'I won't be able to handle it either...'
'Then change me.'
'No!'
'Why not?!'
'Because! I don't want to ruin your life when you're only sixteen...you still have your whole life ahead of you. I'm not ruining all the chance you'll get.' Kai fell silent and he moved away. Whining, I reached for his hand but he pulled away.
'Kai...'
'You won't ruin my life.' I sighed and got off the bed. I headed to the door, feeling his gaze on my back.
'Where are you going?'
'Home. I'll come back tomorrow. Goodnight Kai. I love you.'
'Goodnight Kora...love you too.' Kai's' eyes slowly drifted shut and he fell asleep quickly. Smiling, I walked back over to the bed and kissed his cheek.
'I'll be back tomorrow morning.' I walked out the door and headed home. When I walked up the drive way, I saw Mark and Jackson sitting on my front porch waiting for me.
'What are you two doing here?' Mark lifted his head and Jackson jumped to his feet.
'How's Kai?'
'He's fine.' Jackson frowned and poked my forehead.
'What's wrong?'
'What?'
'Something's wrong. I can tell.' Mark wrapped his arms around Jackson and rested his chin on his shoulder. Sitting down on the porch steps, I looked up at the sky and sighed.
'Kai asked me to change him.' Jackson sat down with Mark, both gaping at me.
'Seriously?' I nodded at Mark.
'He kept saying how I'm not going to want him when he turns thirty and he keeps aging.'
'He doesn't want to live without you.'
'I can't change him Mark, it'll ruin him.' Jackson frowned and the three of sat in silence.

Eventually Mark and Jackson left and I headed inside. Sue and John greeted me from the lounge room. I told them I was going to bed and climbed the stairs. I got into bed and passed out as soon as my head hit the pillow. I woke up the next morning and headed straight over to the hospital. I walked into Kai's room to see him asleep. Smiling, I sat down in the chair next to him and put my arms on the bed. Kai slept peacefully, his chest rising and falling softly. Resting my head on my arms, I closed my eyes and drifted off. When I woke up again, Kai was running his fingers through my hair.
'My angel's finally up is she?' Lifting my head up, I yawned before smiling.
'Mm...how are you feeling?' Kai patted the spot next to him and I climbed onto the bed, his arm going around my shoulder.
'Okay I guess.' I sat up straighter, frowning at his reply.
'Okay? Is anything wrong?' Kai shook his head.
'Everything's fine.' The door opened and we both looked over as the doctor came in. He stood at the end of Kai's bed, a sympathetic look on his face.
'I'm sorry Kai...your results just came through and they're not good.' Kai tightened his grip around my shoulders as I leaned into his side.
'What's wrong with them?' The doctor looked at Kai, his eyes lowering.
'Your heart's slowly failing...you don't have much longer left.' The doctor left and I burst into tears. I hugged Kai as my tears fell down my face. We stayed like that for a while, holding onto each other with me crying and Kai keeping it all in. This was the worst day of my life.