Day Two At School

Day two of my first time ever at school. Mark had called me earlier, saying Jackson wasn't feeling well due to drinking bad blood, and that they may not be at school today. So, I was left sitting alone during recess. I sat under a big tree in the courtyard. Breather boys and girls sat at tables scattered throughout the courtyard. I stared at my phone, hoping I'd get a message from Mark saying he and Jackson will be coming soon. I knew I wouldn't though. Jackson drank bad blood, and he wouldn't be fine for a day or two. I closed my eyes and put my head on the table. Hearing footsteps, I ignored them until the person spoke.
'Where're your friends?' I lifted my head and looked at Kai and his two friends.
'Sick.' One of Kai's friends laughed.
'Sick? Yeah right. Mark and Jackson don't get sick.' Kai's other friend spoke next.
'Quiet Caleb.' Caleb scowled as he shot back at him.
'Rack off Seth.' Seth sneered as Kai ignored them and continued to talk.
'Guess that means you're by yourself today. Come eat with us at lunch.' I shook my head and stood up from the table.
'Thanks, but no thanks. I don't hang around people like you.'
'People like us?'
'Popular kids. I don't like them.' I walked towards the main building and headed to my locker. Grabbing my history books I headed back to classroom 1-F and sat down at my desk, knowing Kai and his friends would turn up soon enough. The bell rang and students filed into the room. Kai slumped into his chair beside me, looking bored.
'Just because I'm popular doesn't mean I'm an ass.' I sighed and opened up my history book as the teacher walked in.
'Sorry, but I prefer to be alone then hang out with you.' I focused on the teacher and ignored Kai the whole lesson.

The bell rang and I started packing up my books. Kai's friends came over but he waved them away. Turning to me, he looked at me, a determined look in his eyes.
'Kora.' I continued packing up, ignoring him.
'I don't like being ignored Kora. Come eat with my friends and I.' I shook my head and walked out of the classroom. Putting my books in my locker, I headed to the nearest vending machine, money from Sue in my pocket. I put the money in and bought a bag of chips before collecting up my change and looked at the vending machine full of drinks. Throwing in some coins, I bought a bottle of green tea and headed out into the courtyard, avoiding the cafeteria. I sat under an oak tree and opened up the bag of chips. Crunching on a few chips, I listened to the chatter coming from the cafeteria. Girls giggling over boys, boys talking about girls. A certain conversation, however caught my attention.
'She's ignoring you Kai. What're you gonna do?'
'What do you think he'll do Caleb?'
'Shut up Seth! I was just asking in case he had a new idea in mind.' Kai groaned.
'Shut up both of you. I'll catch her after school, then I'll see.'
'Her eyes are strange don't you think?'
'Caleb what are you talking about?'
'Her eyes Seth, they're weirdly colored. Like Mark and Jackson's are.'
'They have dark brown eyes. Just like her.' I decided to stop listening and pulled out my phone.

Scrolling through my contacts, I clicked on Mark's name and listened as the phone dialed.
'Hello?'
'Mark, it's me. Kai Jekyll and his friends...they were talking about catching me after school.'
'Go straight home after school, don't get caught by him.'
'Why? What's he going to do?'
'He'll either hurt you or attempt to make you a part of his group.'
'Oh. Should I leave now and skip last two periods?'
'Yeah. I'll come get you. Just tell the receptionist you feel sick.' I hung up and went to my locker. Grabbing my backpack, and finishing the green tea I bought earlier, I headed to reception and went up to the desk. The receptionist looked at me, a friendly smile on her lips.
'Can I help you?'
'I'm not feeling very well. Is it alright if I go home?'
'Of course, just sign out here.' She pointed to a clipboard with a table on it. Wow that was easy. Filling out the table, I handed it back to her and went outside. I waited outside the school gates for Mark. Hearing the familiar sound of a motorbike, he came around the corner and stopped next to the path. I got on the bike and we drove off. Ten minutes later we arrived at Mark and Jackson's place.

Mark parked the bike in the garage and we headed into the house. Walking through the front door, I heard someone in a room nearby. Mark led me into the lounge room where Jackson was sitting under a blanket, watching a movie.
'Jackson, Kora's here.' Jackson looked up from the television and smiled.
'Hey Kora! Made it home safely?' I nodded and joined him on the couch, stealing some of the blanket.
'So what are we watching?'
'Twilight.'
'Seriously?!'
'He just wants to make fun of the movie. He does it a lot.' I glanced at Mark who was looking at Jackson rather than the movie. I turned my head to the screen and watched.
'Seriously? Sparkle in the sunlight and have black eyes when they're hungry? What is this crap?' Jackson ranted on about how bad the acting was and how the stereotypes were so bad. Mark kept his eyes on Jackson the whole time, smiling slightly each time Jackson yawned and snuggled beneath the blanket further.

The movie was about half way through when Jackson paused it.
'I'll be back.' He got up and left the room. Mark followed him with his eyes until he was out of the room.
'How is he?' Mark turned to me.
'Better than last night, he's fed so he'll be fine by tomorrow maybe.' Jackson came back into the room and slumped onto the couch.
'It's so cold~.' Jackson whined and Mark put an arm around his shoulders. Mark lifted up the blanket and put it over Jackson. The movie resumed playing, Jackson watching with half opened eyes. As the credits rolled at the end, Jackson was asleep on Mark's side. I watched as Mark brushed some of Jackson's hair out of his face.
'You really care for him don't you?' Mark smiled.
'More than you'd think.' I smiled and nodded and Mark picked Jackson up so he was practically laying in his arms.
'We'll I'm going to take Sleeping Beauty here to bed.' Mark got up and walked out of the lounge room. I heard his footsteps on the stairs as he walked up them. A door opened upstairs and then closed again after a minute or so. Mark came back and sat down next to me.
'He's out cold. He won't be up again for a while.' I looked around the lounge room, photos lined the walls, along with a bookshelf that went half way up the wall. I stood up and walked over to the bookshelf. Photos of a young Jackson were everywhere. Some photos it was just him, others it was him and his parents. I looked over at Mark.
'How come you're not in any of these?' Mark smiled.
'The ones with me in them are stashed in Jackson's room. He didn't want anyone else to see them apparently.' I nodded and continued to look around.

I heard footsteps above and looked over at Mark who looked over to the entrance of the lounge room. Jackson walked around the corner, wearing a red jumper that looked a little too big for him. Mark smiled fondly as Jackson sat down beside him, rubbing the sleep away from his eyes.
'Jackson, is that my jumper?' Jackson nodded, still not fully awake. I smiled at my two friends as Jackson snuggled into Mark's side.
'Jackson, why are the photos of you and Mark in your room?' Jackson went red and mumbled.
'Because I don't want anyone else to see them.' Mark and I chuckled and he went even redder.
'Shut up.' Mark patted Jackson's head as he pouted. Whining about how mean Mark was to him, Jackson crossed his arms and turned away from Mark.
'Jackson~ I'm sorry.' Jackson shook his head, ignoring Mark.
'Nope, not forgiving you.' Mark laughed softly and tugged at the hem of Jackson's - technically Mark's - jumper.
'Jackson don't be mad~' Jackson continued to ignore Mark, so Mark got up and sat in front of Jackson, though that made Jackson turn around again. Mark wrapped his arms around Jackson's waist and pulled him backwards until he was practically lying in his lap. Mark looked down at Jackson, a smile on his lips.
'Don't be mad.' Jackson huffed and made himself comfortable in Mark's lap.
'You're still an ass.' Mark laughed and ran his fingers through Jackson's hair.
'I'll make it up to you.' Jackson looked up at Mark, a mischievous smile on his lips.
'How?' Mark bit his bottom lip in thought before he smiled down at Jackson.
'I'll buy you a new cap.'
'One of the expensive ones I want?'
'Whichever one you want.' Jackson grinned up at Mark, his dimples showing. I looked at my phone to check the time.
'I better get going. Sue will probably want to know why I left school so early.' Jackson waved goodbye and Mark nodded.
'We'll see you tomorrow.' I smiled and headed to the door. As I walked in through my front door, I heard Sue in the kitchen and John in the lounge room.
'I'm home!' I walked past the lounge room, John smiling from his spot on the love seat.
'Did you have fun Kora?'
'Yeah. Oh, Grandpa!'
'What is it?'
'Do you know much about the Jekyll family?' John shook his head. 'Why?' I hesitated before shaking my head. 'Oh, no reason.' With that I headed to the stairs. Sue peeked out from the kitchen.
'Why did you leave school early?'
'I didn't feel well.' Sue nodded, not fully convinced but left it. I headed upstairs and into my room. Tomorrow, I had a feeling Kai would get me.