No Return

'Kora! Can you come outside please?' I got up off of my bed and headed downstairs. Sue and John were loading bags into the car out the front. I walked out onto the porch and watched.
'What is it Grandpa?' John smiled.
'We'll only be gone for a week. Are you sure you'll be okay?' I laughed.
'Of course Grandpa. Mark and Jackson are next door if I need someone. I'll be fine.' John nodded and gave me a hug. Sue followed and wouldn't let go.
'Come on Sue, let the poor girl breathe.' Sue let me go and kissed my cheek.
'We'll be home soon.' I nodded and waved them of as they drove off down the drive way. I went back inside and got ready for school.

I walked out the door and down the driveway. At the end of the driveway Mark and Jackson smiled and we headed off. Once we got into town, Kai joined us and we walked to school. Mark and Jackson walked ahead of me and Kai talking, while Kai and I had our own conversation.
'How long are the Henry's gone for?'
'One week.'
'So you're home alone for a week?' I nodded at Kai as we walked in through the school gates. The school day flew by quickly and before I knew it, I was sitting in a small café - which foreigners seemed to visit - with Kai, Mark and Jackson. The café was playing song I hadn't heard before but I could understand it, which meant it was Korean. I turned to Kai, not realizing I was speaking in Korean.
'What's this song called?' Kai smiled and replied in Korean.
'It's called Hot Summer by FX.' I nodded and the song changed to one I knew. I started quietly singing to the song as it played.
'We're feeling good tonight, neomaneul wihan bam, we got the night, idaero ireoke duri...' Jackson and Mark stared at me,
'What did you just say?' Kai chuckled and answered for me.
'She was signing along with the song. She said; we're feeling good tonight, a night only for you, we got the night, just like this, just us two.' Jackson nodded and I kept mouthing the lyrics to the song. Once it ended another song came on but I chose to concentrate on my drink as it arrived. I stared at the steam as it went up. Mark sipped on his drink while Jackson huddled into his side. Kai huffed and pulled his jacket closer around himself.
'I hate winter.' I sipped on my drink and turned to Kai.
'But the snow is so pretty.'
'And cold.' I rolled my eyes at Kai and continued to drink my warm tasty treat. We all finished our drinks and got up to leave. I went to grab my scarf and put it around my neck but Kai beat me to it. He wrapped my scarf around my neck for me and smiled.
'Warmer?' I nodded and we walked down the streets. My face was red because I was blushing but it was also red because of the cold. Kai walked next to me while Mark and Jackson walked ahead of us, hand in hand. Kai put an arm around my shoulders and smiled.
'You looked cold, and friends do these things.' I smiled back but inside I was upset. He said friends and that's all I'll ever be to him. I shook my head and leaned into his side trying to get more warmth. Kai patted my cheek gently and we headed down Main Street. We eventually got back to my place and went into the lounge room. I lit the fire place and sat on the couch under some blankets. Kai sat next to me while Mark and Jackson took the other couch.

We watched television for a while, enjoying the warmth the fire place gave off. The music channel came on and Jackson jumped up when a song came on.
'I know this song!' I jumped up too and we both sung and danced to it. The song was Korean and even though Jackson didn't know what the words meant, he still sang along. Eventually we were all dancing, singing and rapping along to the songs on the music channel while the fire crackled away. I was the first to collapse in a heap on the couch while the other three kept going. Slowly, they all stopped and we all lied on the couches, tired and drained of all energy we had. I fell asleep soon enough, my head falling onto Kai's shoulder.

'Kora! Music is on!'
'I'm coming Drake!' I ran into the lounge room just as the music channel came on. Drake started dancing and singing along to the song that came on.
'Sing Kora!' I listened to my brother and we sang along to all the songs that played. We danced for hours upon hours, enjoying the feeling of being on our feet and moving around, not having to worry about our father as he was out on a business trip. Drake collapsed onto the couch first, tired from all the dancing. I kept going until I could barely stand anymore and my throat hurt from all the singing I did. When we woke up, our father stared down at us, anger all over his features.

My eyes flew open and I sat up. Looking to my right I saw Kai sleeping beside me. Mark and Jackson were asleep on the other couch, Mark's arms wrapped around Jackson's waist. I laid back down next to Kai and looked at him. I closed my eyes and thought about Kai. He's a great friend, he's always there when I needed someone. He's funny and always knows what to say. I eventually submitted to sleep, but before I was out I felt arms wrap themselves around my waist. I woke up a few hours later, hearing voices. I opened my eyes slowly and sat up, looking around I saw Mark and Jackson sitting on the far couch, talking quietly to each other. I looked down at Kai. His eyes were open and he was staring up at me, a smile on his face.
'Hey.' I responded to his whisper with a whisper of my own.
'Hey.' He tugged on my arm until I got the message and laid down next to him. We were both on our sides, facing each other. Kai smiled at me and I returned it.
'Did you sleep well?' I nodded.
'Yeah, did you?' Kai grinned.
'Yeah, my sleep was really good.' I smiled.
'That's good.' Kai nodded and put an arm around waist, pulling me closer. He rested his chin on the top of my head, leaving me to rest my head in the crook of his neck.
'Kai?'
'Hm?'
'What are you doing?'
'Hugging you.' I went quiet and listened to the sound of his breathing. It was rather peaceful and it almost sent me back to sleep. Kai started stroking my hair and my eyes started closing.
'Kai...'
'Yeah?'
'Stop. I'm falling back asleep.' Kai chuckled.
'Okay.' His hand went still in my hair, just resting there.

I closed my eyes, enjoying the warmth radiating off of Kai. Mark's voice travelled over to the two of us.
'You two hungry?' Kai hummed in response and I lifted my head up to look at Mark.
'Yeah, but I need blood. Not food.' Mark nodded and got up, Jackson following him like a puppy follows its master. Kai sat up next to me and studied my neck.
'Your neck looks a little better.' I smiled.
'Yeah, it doesn't hurt much anymore and I don't have the urge to itch it much anymore.' Kai nodded and rested his head on my shoulder.
'I'm glad we became friends.' I stared at the burnt out fire.
'Me too.' Mark came back into the room with some food and blood. Kai got off the couch to grab his food, staring at the blood.
'Um...' I chuckled and picked up a bottle of blood, sitting back on the couch. Kai sat down next to me, staring at the blood.
'Is that animal blood?' I nodded and opened up the bottle. I sniffed the contents and grinned at Mark.
'You got my favorite.' Mark laughed.
'It's the one you usually beg for in your head.' I stuck out my tongue and Kai studied the bottle.
'What animal blood is your favorite?' I took a mouthful of the blood, enjoying the taste as it ran down my throat.
'My favorite animal blood is deer blood. It tastes sweet. Not bitter like a bear or sour like a mountain lion. Rabbits blood tastes good too, but I prefer deer.' Kai nodded and went back to eating his food. We sat in silence like we always seemed to do a lot when the four of us were alone together. Jackson dozed off after a while, Mark eventually announcing he was taking him home to bed. Kai left not long after the other two, leaving me on my own. The rest of the week on like this, the four of us catching up after school depending on the weather. If it wasn't snowing we would go to our little waterfall place and ice skate on the frozen lake. If it was snowing however, we would go to my place and watch movies for hours upon hours. We would always go to the café after school regardless of the weather and spend a few hours there, stuffing ourselves with hot drinks and sweets. One time Jackson ate too many sweets, causing him to be sick not long afterwards. The night before the Henry's were due home we were all lounging in my bedroom, listening to the rain pouring outside. Kai and I were lying on the floor since Jackson kicked us both off of the bed, stating he and Mark were more upper class then the two of us and deserved a comfortable place to lay on.

I was playing with my telekinesis, making books and pencils float. A loud clap of thunder startled me and all the objects fell. Kai groaned as a book hit him square on the face and Jackson whined as a few pencils hit his nose.
'Kora, learn to control your powers.'
'I can control them Jackson, the thunder startled me that's all.' Jackson sighed and snuggled into Mark's side.
'If you say so.' I rolled my eyes and turned to Kai.
'Sorry.' He threw the book at me, successfully hitting my forehead.
'Now we're even.' I laughed as I rubbed my forehead. We all fell asleep eventually. I woke up the next morning and glanced at the time on my phone. Seven thirty. Sue said they'd be home by eight. I closed my eyes and fell asleep again. When I woke up again the three boys were awake.
'What time is it?' Kai glanced at his phone.
'Eleven.' I stood up and ran downstairs. I heard the others run after me.
'Kora? What's wrong?'
'My grandparents were supposed to be home at eight.'