Attack

I woke up to the sight of Mark and Jackson cuddling close together, asleep. Sitting up, I looked over at Kai not expecting to see him sitting up already awake and looking right back at me.
'Morning.' Kai smiled.
'Good morning Kora.' We sat there in silence for another half an hour until Jackson woke up. He sat up sleepily and rubbed his eyes. He turned his head to look at Kai before turning to me, blinking away the sleep.
'Morning Kora, Kai.' With a yawn, Jackson looked down at a peacefully sleeping Mark.
'I'm gonna go see what you guys have that I can make for breakfast.' Jackson nodded as I stood up and headed into the kitchen. I rummaged around through the cupboards and the fridge. Finding the right ingredients I needed, I started preparing breakfast for all four of us. I flicked on the pan and heard footsteps coming up behind me.
'What's for breakfast?' I flipped over our breakfast and turned to face Kai.
'You'll see when it's on the table.' He pouted before shrugging and heading back to the lounge room.
'Oh, Mark's awake now.' I nodded and went back to cooking our breakfast. A few minutes later I plated it up and washed some blueberries before putting them on top of our food. I placed the plates on the table and filled up four mugs of hot chocolate.
'BREAKFAST!' Jackson sprinted into the dining room and plopped down in a seat, Mark following him and sitting next to him. Kai came in next and sat down with me next to him.
'French toast? Damn Kora you really know how to cook.' I glanced over to Jackson who was stuffing his face.
'Thanks Jackson.' He smiled, cheeks full of food and continued eating. Mark ate silently next to Jackson, scolding him whenever he got food everywhere. Kai ate his food, a satisfied look on his face.
'This is delicious Kora.' I smiled at Kai.
'Thank you Kai.' We all ate our breakfast quietly, minus Jackson who was chewing his food as loud as possible. He slurped loudly as he drank his hot chocolate, causing Mark to scold him again, but nicely. Jackson finished rather quickly before getting up.
'I'm going to go get ready.' Mark followed him not long after he left, leaving me and Kai alone.

Kai finished before I did and waited until I was done. We did the dishes in silence, honestly I was enjoying his company but if he ever finds out what I am, he'll hate me or he might even kill me. I got so lost in my train of thought that I didn't hear Kai yell out to me until the plate in my hands smashed against the kitchen floor. Kai let out a pained noise and heaved himself up onto the bench. His foot was bleeding and a bit from the plate sat embedded into his skin. All I could focus on was his blood as it trickled down his foot and onto the floor.
'Kora...get the first aid kit.' I snapped out of my trance and bolted into the downstairs bathroom to fetch the first aid kit. On my way back I ran into Mark who was trying to calm down a frantic Jackson. His eyes glowed red and his fangs were showing as he hissed and thrashed around in Mark's grip. I headed into the kitchen and sat the first aid kit next to Kai on the bench.
'I'm sorry.' Kai shook his head, hissing in pain as I fixed up his foot.
'It's not your fault.'
'But I dropped the plate.'
'Kora. It's fine. I'm alright.' I gave in, cleaning up the remaining blood off of the floor. Sweeping up the remains of the plate, I watched as Kai hobbled over to sit on a chair at the bench. I threw the plate in the bin and headed into the bathroom to wash my hands. Before I turned on the tap, I stared at my hands, Kai's blood staining them. Before I could bring my hands to my lips, a hand grabbed my wrist, stopping me.
'Kora! You can't!' I stared at Mark as he turned on the taps, shoving my hand under the water and cleaning all the blood off of it. I looked up into the mirror and saw how red my eyes had become. Shaking my head, they slowly returned back to a dimmer red. Mark turned off the taps and grabbed a towel, drying my hand and wrist as well as his own hands.
'Geez Kora, I thought you could control yourself better than this.' I looked down.
'Sorry Mark.' Mark sighed and Jackson walked into the bathroom.
'You okay now?' I nodded at Jackson and the three of us headed to the kitchen where Kai was still sitting.
'How's your foot.' Kai turned his head to look at Jackson and smiled.
'It's okay. I had some medicine that my mother made for injuries. I'm all good.' Mark, Jackson and I all knew what medicine he meant. Vampire hunter potions of all sorts. Jackson broke the silence by clapping his hands together.
'Let's go out into the woods!' Kai nodded and stood up, following Jackson as the two headed out the back door. Mark and I followed after them.

We all ended up standing at the tree line leading into the woods.
'Are you sure it's a good idea?' Jackson grinned.
'Yep, I'm sure Kora.' Mark grabbed Jackson's hand, his eyes staring at Jackson, asking him to rethink his decision.
'Are you sure Jackson?' Jackson nodded at Mark and turned to Kai.
'You ready?' Kai grinned and nodded, the two of them then ran into the woods. Mark groaned in frustration and bolted after them, me not far behind him. We caught Jackson and Kai quickly, Mark jumping onto Jackson's back while I jumped onto Kai's. The two let out surprised yelps as the four of us tumbled onto the ground in a heap. Jackson sat up laughing, Mark rubbing his head, me smiling while Kai frowned, rubbing the back of his neck.
'Kora that hurt.' I smiled innocently at Kai until he tackled me. I fell backwards, my back hitting the ground. Kai stared down at me, his eyes screaming mischief. I stared at him, no idea what he was thinking. I heard Mark let out a chuckle, not knowing why until Kai started tickling me. Mark had read his mind. I laughed and begged Kai to stop until I was close to tears. Kai eventually released me and stood up, holding out his hand for me to grab onto. I held onto his hand and he pulled me to my feet.

Jackson, who was laughing the whole time suddenly stopped, his head whipping around to the right.
'Mark, Kora...' Mark and I turned the way he was facing and that's when we saw them. A couple of untamed, feral vampires. They had smelt Kai's breather scent and were now making their way towards us. Mark stood in front of Jackson while I yanked Kai by his arm until he was behind me.
'Can't we just run?' Mark shook his head.
'They'll catch us...well they'll catch Kai.' Kai stood behind me, not knowing what was going on.
'Kora what's wrong?' As I went to reply, the two vampires stopped a few meters away.
'Well look what we have here, a few tamed vampires guarding a breather.' The first vampire spoke, his friend laughing.
'Doesn't matter. We'll still get the breather.' Mark scoffed.
'You won't get anywhere near him.' Kai tugged on my arm and I turned my head to face him.
'What?'
'They're vampires.' I stared at Kai, going to reply when the first vampire caught my attention.
'And what are you little miss? His mate?' Both of the feral vampires burst into laughter, Jackson stopping it.
'You don't have any business with him.' The second vampire snarled.
'His family killed our mates! This is just a little revenge on the hunters. Now hand him over before things get really ugly.' I spoke up, keeping my grip on Kai's arm.
'I'm not giving him to you, so piss off.' Both vampires growled, the first one stepping forward.
'We warned you. Now we're going to take him from you.' Both of them ran at me, Mark jumping onto one of them. Jackson went to help Mark while the remaining vampire stalked towards me.
'He's going to die girly, whether you like it or not.' I released my grip on Kai's arm and launched myself at the vampire, my fangs bared. We both fell to the ground, wrestling with each other. I snapped my fangs at his neck, missing the first time. He shoved me onto my back, his mouth open in a growl. His eyes glowed bright red and his fangs reached for my neck. I managed to get a hold of his neck and started strangling him. He clawed at my arms, his fangs somehow digging into them. I let out a scream and let go of him. He jumped up, heading towards Kai. I got to my feet, knowing my eyes were red by the look on Kai's face as he stared at me. I felt the blood running down my arms as I jumped onto the back of the vampire. I dug my fangs into his neck, holding on as he thrashed around. Only when he had stopped and went limp, did I let go. He fell to the ground, lifeless. I turned around and saw Mark and Jackson finishing off the other vampire. They both walked over to me and Kai, blood all over their arms and faces. Kai stared at the three of us in horror.
'Y-you're vampires!' I stepped towards Kai but he moved backwards.
'Kai...please.' He shook his head, his face turning into one of disgust.
'You're all filthy blood sucking monsters. Your kind deserves to be hunted down and disposed of. You don't deserve to live.' I stared after Kai as he ran off.

I stepped forwards, intending to follow him but a hand on my arm stopped me.
'Let him go Kora.' I stared in the direction Kai disappeared from and looked down.
'It's my fault.' I looked up and faced Jackson.
'No it's not Jackson.'
'Yes it is! I was the one who said we should go into the woods.' Mark hugged Jackson, murmuring to him.
'Jackson it's not your fault ok? You didn't know there would be vampires around here.' I nodded along with Mark's statement and put my hand on Jackson's arm.
'Let's go home okay?' Jackson nodded and Mark grabbed his hand, the three of us going back to their place. I sat out on the front porch while the other two were inside. I thought about what happened and how Kai acted when he saw me. I knew that we would be hunted down eventually. It was just a matter of time before we get attacked and killed by Kai's family, maybe even Kai himself.