Performance

'Kora! Can you come help us unpack please?' Sue's voice echoed throughout the house and I jumped up off my bed, running down the stairs. I ran out the front door and hugged Sue.
'Grandma! You're home.' Sue hugged me before she pulled back.
'Sorry we're home later then we said we'd be. Someone got us lost and our phones died so we couldn't call you.' Sue glared at John as I shook my head.
'It's okay. I'm just glad you're home. The police came by yesterday and asked me some things. I think they thought you had gone missing or something.' John chuckled.
'That's the police in this town for you. They overreact on everything. Can you help me unload the car - who's this?' I turned around and saw Kai leaning against the tree we had next to the front porch.
'That's Kai Jekyll. A friend from school.' John nodded as Kai walked over.
'Nice to meet you Kai.'
'Nice to meet you too, sir.' John laughed.
'Just call me John kiddo. Do you think you could give us a hand with all these bags?' Kai nodded and started helping John unload the car. He turned to me and smirked.
'Aren't you going to help Kora?' I mentally slapped myself for wanting to kiss him and nodded.
'Y-yeah.' I grabbed some bags and headed into the house.

I put them up in Sue's and John's room before heading back to the front door. I bumped into Kai on the way and I almost tripped, but he grabbed onto me.
'You're so clumsy.' I pouted and walked back to the car. I grabbed some more bags as arms made their way around my waist.
'Kora~ sorry for calling you clumsy. I won't do it again.' I turned my head to look back at Kai. He was biting his bottom lip and his eyes had a sorry look in them. I sighed and pinched his cheek.
'You're forgiven.' He smiled and cheered. We didn't notice Sue and John watching us from the porch as we kept talking.
'So, since I'm forgiven, can I get a kiss?' My face went red and I shoved his face away.
'Don't be ridiculous. Come on, let's go over to Mark and Jackson's.' I walked over to the porch, not missing the hurt expression on Kai's face. He looked like a kicked puppy. I looked at Sue.
'Can we go next door for a bit?' Sue nodded and smiled.
'Of course you can sweetie, but be home in time for dinner.' I nodded and started walking over to Mark and Jackson's place. I heard Kai following me as we got to the front door. I knocked on it twice and it creaked open. A woman peered at me from around the door, her piercing gaze staring into my soul.
'What do you want?'
'Are Mark and Jackson home?' The woman replied in her scratchy voice.
'Yes. Why?'
'I'm here to see them.'
'Who are you?'
'I'm Kora, their friend.' The woman stepped out onto the front porch and glared at me.
'Sorry but they're not allowed any visitors at the moment.' She went to close the front door, but Mark stopped the door from closing.
'Hey Kora, Kai. We'll be out in a second.' The woman stared at Mark, her voice threatening.
'You will stay inside.' Mark glared back.
'No we won't.' The woman lifted her hand up, almost slapping Mark but he was pulled outside by Jackson.
'Sorry mother but we're leaving.' Jackson turned to me and Kai, mouthing for us to run. So we did. We didn't stop until we were far in the woods.
'Why...did...we run?' Kai asked Jackson, panting.
'Because if we didn't, she would've killed us all.' Jackson answered, his face serious. We all sat down on some fallen down tree branches, listening to all the sounds around us.
'My grandparents are home.' Jackson and Mark both smiled and Jackson patted my shoulder.
'I knew they'd come home. I'm surprised you didn't have a mental breakdown or something.' I glared at Jackson.
'That's because Kai was with me.' I turned to Kai, smiling but he just turned his head away. My face fell and I looked down. Mark studied Kai for a moment before studying me.
'Ah, I see.' Both Kai and I glared at Mark, yelling at him at the same time.
'Stay the hell out of my head!' I looked at Kai as he looked at me, both a bit surprised before he turned away again.
'Kai?' He stood up.
'I'll see you guys at school tomorrow. Don't forget we're performing Kora. Bye.' He walked off and disappeared.

I stared after his retreating figure, feeling a pain in my chest. Mark sighed and Jackson stood up.
'Kora. You need to tell him how you feel!' I shook my head, standing up.
'No. He doesn't like me that way and I don't even know what I did to upset him.' Mark watched me as I started pacing.
'You rejected him.' I spun on my heels, staring at Mark.
'How?!'
'You said no to his request for a kiss.' My eyes widened and I plopped down onto a log.
'I just thought he was playing around.' Mark shook his head and sat next to me.
'Kora, you and Kai are the most idiotic people I know.'
'Yah!'
'You like him yet he can't see it. He likes you yet you can't see it.' I stared at Mark, registering what he said.
'Kai likes me?' Mark's eyes widened in realization and he stood up, laughing nervously as he scratched the back of his neck.
'Jackson and I should get going, we'll see you tomorrow at school. Bye.' Mark grabbed Jackson's hand and ran.
'Yah! Mark!' I groaned in frustration and kicked a log away. Was he serious when he said Kai likes me? Ugh, forget it. I need to go home and eat something then practice my routine that Kai and I have to perform in front of the whole school tomorrow. I made my way home, cutting through the woods and walked in through the front door. Sue and John were sitting in the lounge room, watching television. I smiled before I went into the kitchen. I grabbed an apple, filled up a bottle with water and went up to my room. I moved the furniture around so I had enough room to dance and turned on my Bluetooth speakers. I selected the song and started practicing the dance moves for it. I practiced for a few hours, eventually getting tired and going to bed after a refreshing shower. I snuggled in under the covers, thinking about the performance tomorrow. I was nervous and excited for it. I hope we do well. But, Kai's not talking me to at the moment. I hope we figure things out tomorrow. I fell asleep rather quickly and woke up the next morning, nervous. I got ready for school and packed the outfit I was to wear for the performance in my bag. I bolted down the stairs, said goodbye to Sue and John before leaving the house. I ran down the driveway and into the woods.

Running along the path, I enjoyed the feeling of the wind hitting my face as I weaved between the trees. I heard a twig snap to my left and spun around as a figure threw themselves at me. I moved out of the way and watched as Jackson tumbled along the dirt path.
'Dammit Kora.' Jackson stood up, rubbing his head.
'For a half breed you sure can hear really well.' I rolled my eyes and grabbed Mark's arm as he tried to sneak up behind me.
'You guys are just hopeless at sneaking up on people.' I let go of Mark's arm and he walked up next to me.
'Ready for the performance today?' I shook my head as we walked along the path to school.
'Kai isn't talking to me. I just hope we do okay in practice before the show.' Mark nodded and Jackson kicked a rock out of the way.
'I'm sure you and Kai will sort it out.' We got to school and I waved my friends off. I headed to the dance studio, finding Kai already in there. I put my bag down and walked over to him.
'Kai.' He glanced at me before continuing to dance. Growling, I spun around and turned off the music. Kai stared at me as I stalked over to him.
'Why are you so pissed at me?'
'I'm not pissed at you.'
'Then why haven't you been talking to me? What the hell did I do?' Kai sighed.
'It's what you didn't do.' I stared at him.
'What didn't I do?!' He walked closer to me, a few centimeters between us. He tilted his head to the side and looked into my eyes before his eyes slid shut. His lips pressed against mine in a gentle kiss. I felt my own eyes slip shut. He pulled away after a moment and licked his lips.
'That's what you didn't do.' I felt my face heat up and we started practicing our dance. Eventually the end of the day came and we wear waiting backstage in our costumes. Finally it was our turn to perform and we walked onto the stage. I spotted Mark and Jackson sitting up front, smiles on their faces. The music began playing and Kai started dancing first. I soon followed and we were finally performing our dance to its fullest. We finished it off with a backflip each and stood back to back as everyone started clapping. I smiled as we bowed and went off stage. Our dance teacher approached us, a big smile on his face.
'Good job you two. I'm proud of you. I'll see the two of you next term.' We both nodded and walked out from backstage. Mark and Jackson smiled at us as we walked over.
'So it's the end of term. You guys ready for holidays full of fun?!' Mark, Kai and I all shouted yes at Jackson as the four of us made our way out the school gates. Holidays had arrived after a long term.