Chapter 21

'Block, duck, parry, strike!' Midoriya's thoughts rushed through his head as he was sparring with Aizawa. The two were doing quirkless sparring, something that the older was quite good with and the younger could definitely use the learning and practice with, especially given how new his quirk was.

Besides, having watched Bakugo fight a lot, he knew that learning how to spar quirkless would be incredibly effective and useful in terms of making use of any combat style. So Aizawa was running combat drill after combat drill, going easy on the boy as he learned the basics of short, quick bursts of combat. 

Aizawa threw a right hook aimed at his ribs, Midoriya responded by stepping forwards, the power of the blow being reduced by the shortened distance so he could effectively ignore it, whilst simultaneously bringing his right around in a counter strike with a right hook.

Aizawa however was faster, ducking underneath the hook and bringing his left palm up to swat the strike upwards. 

Quickly, Midoriya retracted the hook brought his arms back up to a defensive position. 

"Not bad, although you need to be ready with more follow up than that. Next time," Aizawa had his own arms in a defensive position, before he launched rapidly into another flurry of attacks. Left jab, right hook, left jab, right uppercut.

Midoriya managed to swat away the first left jab, before bringing his right arm upwards to block the right hook. He then ducked the following left jab... but unfortunately was not prepared for an uppercut to come in, and because he had ducked, it hit him clean in the chin. "Next time, be prepared for less predictable combos. And try and be less predictable yourself," Aizawa said, holding a hand down to the boy who was now on the ground after receiving the punch. Midoriya just nodded, grabbing Aizawa's hand as he nursed the bruise causing the older man to roll his eyes.

"You're fine, I didn't even hit you that hard. Don't be so dramatic."

Midoriya simply stuck his tongue out. Aizawa chuckled, before speaking some more. "In any case though, your attacks will be influenced by how you use your quirk with them, and depending on the style you're going for will influence the fighting style you utilise," Aizawa mentioned, and Midoriya nodded in understanding.

"In that case, shall we do some more work on my quirk then?" Midoriya signed and Aizawa nodded.

"We'll get you used to using it first, and tomorrow we'll go out for some field experience - trial by fire if you will. But now we'll start with your quirk in smaller, close range attacks. Despite that needing more control, you'll find starting with this is easier."

Midoriya nodded and stretched his arms out, feeling the stretch of his forearms and upper arms. He and Aizawa moved outside of the training room they were in, towards the plains he had initially tested his abilities. Of course, he was excited to figure it out, but his wringing of hands definitely showed that he was somewhat nervous too.

Meanwhile, Aizawa was honestly happier then he had been in a while. Whilst there were many a reason for this, the obvious one for now would be that he was able to help one of his most promising students, and now his son, the other was that he was excited to see such a promising student grow and come into his own.

One of the most satisfying things about his job was that he got to see his students grow and become better people.

... of course, his current class was a different problem, but they were a different problem that could be dealt with later.

For now, he was content to just work with Midoriya, eager to learn about the quirk and all the applications for it. 

Of course, they had to start with some fundamental quirk control to be able to use it in combat.