(6) Ridiculous Responses

✿❯────「✿」────❮✿

Anna typed slowly as she focused on correctly appropriating a scene for her book. She always took pride in making sure there were strong facts behind her work when needed. Even if it took longer, she knew she had to do it.

The room was silent around her as she worked. The house always smelled like cinnamon and everyone was home. They usually spend the morning or afternoon preparing their week, not bothering each other, but spending quality time doing so. They often moved about the place in sequence and solitude.

Anna blinked a few times, continuing to type as she brought the words to life on the screen. She was in the zone - totally at will to her imagination as the story came together in an interesting twist that even surprised her. She smiled at the screen, satisfied with what she had just produced. She read the lines over, correcting any errors or false information as needed.

Kurt strolled into the room, checking on the two girls in the kitchen. Linda was whipping up a breakfast for the family, and Anna was minding her own business. Anna looked up at her father, wanting him to read what she had just written. She had always shared her work with him, and her mother, but never Linda. She never seemed interested, so she only talked about it with Kurt.

"Hey dad," Anna pushed the laptop away from hers lightly, "Can you read this for me and tell me what you think about it?"

"Of course." he nodded.

He stood over her shoulder and started reading the first few words. He never made it past the first line when Linda distracted him with her own question.

"Oh honey, come here and tell me how this tastes! I added something different to the batter this time." Both their eyes flicked up to the cooking woman and Anna sighed when her father stepped away.

She watched as Kurt took a bite of the food she had just taken off the stove. Anna waited patiently for him to come back to his spot behind her and let him finish reading the paragraph. She focused on the clock on the wall across from her, tuning the conversation out and tuning into the soft ticks of the clock signaling time moving forward.

She blankly blinked as she waited, only to realize that he had forgotten all about his daughter asking for his opinion. This frustrated Anna and caused her to close her laptop a little harder than she usually would. She scooped it up into her arms, fully prepared to carry it upstairs with her and into her bedroom where she planned on hiding for most of the day.

"I just wanted an opinion..." Anna huffed underneath her breath as she maneuvered around the table and went to step out of the room.

"Anna Jane, come back here please!" Linda called out loudly and stopped Anna in her tracks.

She turned back into the room, holding the computer in her hands and looking to see what she was being called back for. She cocked her hip out, leaning on her foot that wasn't sore from falling down the steps in the park. She tilted her head down slightly as Linda looked at her with a very annoyed purse on her lips.

"What did you say as you were walking out of the room?" Linda crossed her arms. Kurt looked between the two of them with an equally confused expression on his face.

"Nothing," Anna shook her head, "I was just talking to myself."

"What did you say though?" she pushed.

"It wasn't anything important." Anna said.

"It was important enough to say to yourself, so what was it?" she glared.

"All I said was I just wanted an opinion... I was talking to myself." Anna shrugged.

"An opinion on what?" Linda questioned.