(8) School Season

✿❯────「✿」────❮✿

Anna dreaded the school year just as much as the next student out there. With her senior year coming up, she felt many mixed emotions about it. She woke up to her schedule being released, and she looked it over with half-open eyes and a still sleep filled state of mind.

Anna's eyes scanned the screen as she stretched. How could senior year be here already? She felt like it was just yesterday that she had started high school in the first place and now it was her graduating year. After reading over everything, she rolled over and took her time getting out of bed. She felt exhausted from the night before - avoiding her father and his questions and Linda pestering about her staying in her room all night took more energy out of her than she thought it would.

Wake up, brush teeth, do hair, get dressed, eat breakfast.

She followed each step in her routine. She was trying to avoid having an off day - so before doing anything; she took her medicine. When she was ready for the day, she went to find Linda. She was getting ready for work and would leave soon, but Anna wanted to ask her something before she left.

"Linda?" Anna lightly knocked on her bedroom door.

"Good morning." Linda smiled as she placed a pair of earrings in her lobes.

"I got my schedule for school this morning." Anna told her.

"Did you?" she glanced over, "Any interesting classes?"

"No, just the basics." Anna shrugged.

"Maybe during the second term you will get some. Are you excited? This summer's blown by so fast." Linda commented.

"Yeah," Anna nodded, "I have a question though."

Anna wasn't sure why she felt so nervous asking her this. She knew it was silly but it wasn't her mother, so it made things a little awkward for her.

"Is everything okay?" Linda continued getting ready as they talked.

"Mom and I usually go school shopping at the mall when my schedule gets released. I was wondering... if we could do that?" Anna chewed on the inside of her cheek for a few seconds while she waited for a response.

"Oh honey," Linda sighed, "I would love too but I'm going to be extremely busy the next few weeks between work and the house upgrades. I just don't know if I'll have the time to take you."

Anna sighed, "Okay." She started to turn and leave the room.

"Wait," Linda called her back, "Why don't you go with Izzy and Amelia?"

Anna thought that was a good suggestion but it wasn't the same tradition that she was used to.

"I'm sure the three of you will have fun. I'll give you some money and you guys can get lunch too, is that alright?" Linda watched her.

"I guess so." Anna shrugged, wishing her mom were still there. They went every year - it never failed. They'd shop, eat lunch, and then upon returning home they'd get ice cream. Anna missed her more and more each day. She missed their talks, their time spent together, and most of all the sense of caring there her mother provided her with. Anna felt like she could go to her about anything - Linda, not so much. It wasn't that Anna didn't trust her, or disliked her, it just wasn't her mother...

Anna called up the girls and they all agreed to meet up at the mall. Linda dropped her off on her way to work and Anna spotted the other two girls standing outside already waiting for her.

"Hey!" Anna greeted them, "Who's ready for some shopping?"

"We're glad you called. I'm assuming you got the same notification from Pine Ridge High that I did?" Izzy raised a brow.