𝐗𝐈𝐈. Slowly Descending into Madness

· 🙤 •° · ︻╦デ╤━━╾ ·°• 🙦 ·

╔═════ °• ♔ •° ═════╗

❝ So you'll let me on your good side? ❞

╚═════ °• ♔ •° ═════╝

THE THING ABOUT FIVE HARGREEVES is that he is incredibly intelligent. Not only was he a math prodigy at only thirteen (despite his calculations being wrong when it mattered most), but he also has the problem-solving skills of Sherlock Holmes. Well, most of the time.

But his biggest flaw is that he's still too young — too immature and cocky. He's only eighteen, so he's bound to make mistakes that professionals in his area wouldn't even dream of. Arrogance. That's his problem, and it could be a deadly one.

To Flare, this is the perfect weakness to utilize. It's a problem almost everyone has, and something so easy to use to her advantage, because simply feeding it could make the person cause their own downfall. Not only that, but she has an advantage. Since Five seems to still care for her, perhaps he might go soft.

However, this little strategy doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

"You're still following me," Flare grumbles, walking a little faster along the pavement.

"I know," Five replies, matching her pace with ease.

She had decided to wander around town for a while in search of more leads. However, what she wasn't expecting was the boy to outright follow her. Of course she assumed he'd be nearby, watching from afar, but not staying right by her side to this extent. It's most likely because he wants to keep an eye on her.

But oh well, who is she to complain.

"Alright, what do you want?" she interrogates.

The boy doesn't waste a second to respond, "To observe you."

"That's kinda strange."

Five shrugs.

"You know how you always used to compare me to a lost puppy following you around?" Flare continues, her tone matching that of a complaint. "Well that's you right now."

Five scoffs, "The difference is you followed because you were enamored with me, I'm doing it to prevent you from accidentally killing yourself."

"Enamored?" Flare echoes in disbelief. "Don't flatter yourself! You're the one enamored with me since you're trying so hard to make me come back with you. But I mean, who can blame you? I'm irresistible."

The boy doesn't even bother to acknowledge her compliment to herself.

"You're forgetting this is my job," he says, putting emphasis on the last word.