𝐗𝐕. Sociopath Meet and Greet

· 🙤 •° · ︻╦デ╤━━╾ ·°• 🙦 ·

╔═════ °• ♔ •° ═════╗

You say that as if you know me. Have we met before?

╚═════ °• ♔ •° ═════╝

FLARE AND LUTHER'S CAR HUMS to a halt as they park on the side of the long, empty countryside road. After realizing she has nothing else to do other than wait for everything to go to shit, the girl finally decided to resort to her last option.

She would lure Hazel and Cha-Cha out with a fake briefcase, and then bargain with them to call whoever's running the Commission in return for it. That way, she can finally speak to whoever's in charge.

Flare explained her little plan to Luther beforehand, so now they sit in silence, waiting for their assailants to arrive. She stares out the window, the faint sound of music playing from the radio. Whatever happens next, it'll work out. At least, she hopes.

"I never enjoyed it, you know," the girl breaks the silence.

Luther glances over at her, "What?"

"The killing," she explains, "I did it because I had to — because it was necessary to survive. I guess I was just so young, it was easier for me to become desensitized to it," her tone is uncharacteristically calm — no sarcastic tone or aggravated rasp. "After a while, taking a human life . . . it starts to feel like slaughtering cattle once you do it enough."

The man glances over at her. His first inclination is to be concerned with the way the girl describes killing people, but he doesn't see enough psychopathy in her eyes to worry about it.

Instead, he asks, "Were you alone?"

She nods, a calm expression cast over her features.

"If I wasn't running, I was getting kicked around for being poor, or driven out for being a 'witch'," the girl makes air quotes with her fingers for the last word, "I did meet a few kind people. Some were generous enough to lend me clothing or food, but I never made any long-lasting friends. Didn't have enough time."

Luther nods. "Yeah, I get it. I spent four years on the moon, and that was enough. You were gone for just about as long. It's the being alone that breaks you."

Flare shrugs, "I suppose, but at least I still had human contact, although most of it was violent. You had absolutely no one. That is what breaks you."

The man remains silent for a moment. He thinks about what she said. The girl next to him looks far too old, yet far too young at the same time. As if she was forced to grow up too soon, but never had the chance to do it normally.