Prologue: Damage assessment

January 2, 2225

It wasn't easy to slip past the mandalorian space, but the Corvus eventually showed everyone that her cloaking device could really rival that of the Federation.

Iulius simply wasn't used to all the sneaking around. He always sent people like the Inferno to do this kind of job while he commanded entire naval squadrons from the bridge of the Admonitor.

The Corvus also didn't have much room for privacy. The only single cabin was that of the commander, and while Iden had offered to leave it to him, he had refused, stating that, after all, she was still in command of the ship, and she had the right to a private space where she could clear her mind and direct the vessel at peak performance.

Now though, it was time to find out whether his worst fears were true or not.

"We're leaving hyperspace in ten seconds." Meeko announced on the bridge.

Pretty much everybody was looking anxiously outside of the viewport, even if they would have to navigate for a few minutes before they reached the last known position of the Death Star.

The blue tunnel disappeared and the only thing they could see at first was the local star, thousands of km away from them and yet so bright and looking very close.

A few beeps followed. "Cloaking device engaged." one of the technicians reported.

"Agent Meeko, bring us to the set of coordinates." Iden ordered.

"Yes, ma'am." the man replied and started maneuvering the ship.

The Corvus sped into the Yavin system. It crossed the elliptic orbit of the most external planet, crossed the asteroid belt and finally approached the gas giant of Yavin. Soon, the scanners picked up an obstacle.

Actually, they picked up a lot of them.

The corvette approached and it wasn't long before the answer to their questions became visible even without the sensors.

"No..." Hask whispered in terror, as everybody looked outside of the viewport with shock and dismay. "Say I'm hallucinating."

Nobody said anything, because pretty much everybody inside that bridge wished they were only imagining things. But the debris of the Death Star were right there in front of them. On the far side of the gas giant they could even see the section of the shooting disc floating in the orbit.

 On the far side of the gas giant they could even see the section of the shooting disc floating in the orbit

Iulius closed his eyes for a moment, recollecting himself before he turned around. "Come on, people, we'll mourn later. Start a search of the area, see if you can find a distress beacon." he calmly ordered.

His discipline served as an example to the others, who immediately got back to work and the scan was initiated.

After a minute or so, Hask spoke up. "We got a signal. It's Lord Vader."