Epilogue: Final Reckonings

December 26.

"Let me guess." Iulius said as he literally tore his hair out after Zahra barely reported that Ezra Bridger had escaped. "My father broke formation and got himself killed."

The Commander hesitated for a moment. She was used not to smear her superiors in any way, but after all, Iulius didn't care for his father.

"That would be a correct synthesis." Zahra said in a neutral tone.

Iulius sighed loudly and dropped himself on the seatback. After a few seconds rubbing his face for the frustration, he managed to regain an apparent calm. He wasn't frustrated in the fact that Bridger had slipped away once again, so much to the fact that it was mostly because his father had proven once again to be completely useless.

"At least he died fighting." he mumbled at the end, not so secretly satisfied that he didn't have to put up with him anymore. Then talked to Zahra again. "You and Agent Jade return to Naboo, Commander. We have still a lot of work to do."

"At once, sir." the woman replied martially before clicking out the transmission.

Iulius remained there for a minute or two. He didn't know why, but he felt almost relieved. He had always hated his father, who had never done anything to prove himself to be one. That man had never cared for his family and only wanted to exploit Iulius' talents to advance his own career. Chimbros had resented his son ever since he understood that him becoming Grand Admiral would not mean favors for the father. And finally, he got himself killed because he was unable not to chase personal glory.

There was absolutely nothing to save in Chimbros Tanis. All-in-all, Iulius felt like a hindrance had been removed from his shoulders.

Still, he needed to crack this news to his mother. And he wasn't sure how she was going to take it. She wasn't exactly fond of him, but she was still his wife, a devout one.

He walked out of the office, just in time to cross Qathora and Yagler. The Togruta, by Iulius' instructions, had revealed her links into the Fulcrum network, sharing it with the ISB agent to ensure proper coordination.

The two women greeted him, but noticed his grim expression when he returned the courtesy and decided to follow him.

Iulius walked toward Sekta's office and rang the doorbuzz, being allowed in just a second later.

"Hi, honey. What is it?" Sekta asked gently from her seat behind the desk.

The Grand Admiral walked in and rubbed his neck, trying to find the words. But he quickly understood that it was useless to be diplomatic about it.

"Father is dead." he declared bluntly.

Sekta froze in place for a second before turning her head toward her son, at loss for words.

The two could only stare at each other. Iulius tried to divert his gaze in the embarrassment of the moment, unsure of what was going to be the reaction.

Eventually, Sekta slowly stood up from her seat, walked past the desk and silently went to hug him. Iulius gently returned the gesture and the two stayed like that for around ten seconds.

"You all right?" he asked when they separated.

"I'm not sure. I know you hated him, Iulius, but he was still my husband. I feel...confused."

"It's fine if you want to take a few days off."

She shook her head. "Not a chance. The fact he's gone means that I only have two men left to care about in my life."

Iulius tilted his head. "Mother, you don't mean..."

"Who else am I supposed to refer to?" she replied calmly.