Chapter 16: Restoring Justice

May 29.

After the Admonitor left hyperspace over Jelucan, followed by the Corvus and three escort cruisers, Iulius brought Ciena and a small squad aboard his Lambda shuttle and ordered the pilot to head for Valentia, the planetary capital.

His arrival had actually been kept a secret, therefore there was no parade to welcome him and no dignitary of the local government, so he quickly sped toward the local prison, right next to the tribunal. The guard at the entrance was extremely confused when he saw his uniform first, and his face second.

"L...Lord Tanis?" he asked bumbling.

In response, Iulius took out one of his cylinder codes and pushed it into the plug of the main gate, obtaining immediate access. The guard stepped aside and let him and his group go in.

All he had to do was to ask the warden to bring out Verine Ree for a talk. The officer wasn't actually keen at first, but a quick stare from DT-518 with her helmet and armor on was enough to convince him otherwise. In less than five minutes, Verine was brought into one of the conversation rooms without her shackles and Iulius entered along with Ciena.

"Mamma." the girl exclaimed, rushing to hug her parent who returned the gesture.

"Ciena." Verine replied, happy to see her daughter but confused. "W...what are you doing here? How did you get in?"

"It's all thanks to him." Ciena said, turning to show Iulius, who made a polite nod as he still kept his hands behind his back.

"The Lord-Protector?" Verine said incredulous.

"Madame Ree, I would like to ask you some questions about your charges." Iulius frankly said.

"I...sure. But I don't understand. This case is definitely not worth your time, my Lord." the woman said humbly.

"On the contrary, Madame. Ciena has helped me a great deal since she came aboard the Admonitor. I'm here to return the favor." he stated calmly.

While that wasn't a lie, the main reason he was there was because he wanted to counter the attempt of Moff Goreed to threaten Ciena and, by large, Iulius himself.

After introductions were over, they all sat at a round table of the block. Aside from them, there was only a guard standing at ease next to the entrance, to escort Verine back to her cell once the talking was over. Iulius thus started with his questions.

"Madame Ree, I know that you First-wavers value honesty and the vows you make are considered sacred. So, I'll start with the most basic question. Did you falsify the income reports of your mining operation in order to steal?"

"No." Verine replied without hesitation and with a completely calm tone.

Iulius scrutinized her face and stared into her eyes, looking for any sign of falsehood, but he didn't find any. She was being perfectly honest.

"Good. Then I promise, I'll immediately restore your right for a defense. Who did you send your reports, usually?"

"Directly to the department of industry on Eriadu, sir. I only know the serial number of my correspondent, though."

"It will be enough." Iulius calmly replied and took out his datapad on the notes. Verine typed the serial number, allowing Iulius to memorize it before putting the device away. Then he stood up. "Don't worry, Madame. I'll make sure this judicial error will be rectified."

"Thank you, Lord-Protector." Verine replied humbly.

Iulius nodded and turned to leave, followed by Ciena after she bid her mother goodbye. Before leaving the prison, though, Iulius talked with the warden and ordered him to keep Verine in a single cell, cause if he was going to learn that she had been put in isolation without a reason, the entire personnel would answer to the Lord-Protector himself. And with that said, they left the prison and rejoined Iulius' guards, Qathora and Thane. The Lord-Protector turned thus to Ciena.