Chapter 5: Into the enemy camp

February 8.

Back on Felucia. Jordan certainly wasn't much enthusiast of this, and neither were the others, but the Empire had struck there when everybody assumed that Iulius was still too busy reorganizing the Imperial forces and that the double offensive of the Rebels and the Mandalorians on two fronts would put him on the defensive.

It also bothered him that last day was his daughter's birthday and all he could do was to send a holo-message.

Still, MI6 was expecting another attack on Lianna, since a big imperial fleet was still sitting in the orbit of Arcan and the previous offensive had forced the coalition to leave Felucia only partially defended.

If the imperials retook the planet, they could use the Felucia Trail to attack Lianna on the flank, and this couldn't be allowed. So while the Taus were sending their fleet to reinforce the position, the federal naval squadron in orbit had been forced to already cede part of the orbit to the numerically superior imperial fleet.

Which meant that, as soon as the planet's rotation allowed it, the imperials had dropped an army on the surface near the coalition's strongholds and started the battle for control.

Now Jordan had been requested to investigate a missing patrol on the surface of Felucia. It was near a heated battlefield, where a Victory-class Star Destroyer and an Alliance cruiser were even battling a few thousand meters above the ground.

 It was near a heated battlefield, where a Victory-class Star Destroyer and an Alliance cruiser were even battling a few thousand meters above the ground

"Captain, we're approaching the transponder of the lost patrol, but we can't pick any signal." the co-pilot reported.

"Sign of enemy forces?" Jordan asked.

"There are no life-signs, sir."

"Ok, drop us in, then get airborne and cover us." the Legionnaire concluded.

"Yes, sir." the pilot replied while the Captain returned into the cargo hold.

There were Michalina, Thabo and Gutierrez. They were simply sitting on the seats or watching at the screen projecting a view given by the external sensors of the Kodiak, but when Jordan re-entered, they understood they were about to land, so they stood up around him.

"All right, listen. We're coming up on the last known position of the patrol. We don't know what happened, so we're looking for survivors and for whatever might have killed them."

"Jordan," said Michalina with a suspicious tone. "why are they asking us to check on a missing patrol?"

"Because this one had three Legionnaires in it, all Aquilae. And yet they got overrun in a matter of minutes." he sternly replied. "And it's not the first time. In the last few days we lost two squads of our brothers, so we must understand if it's the fauna, or if the imperials are sending some specialist to hunt our kind down."

"So...we're going to investigate a possible Legionnaire-killing weapon...as Legionnaires?" Thabo asked a bit incredulous.

"This is definitely a trap." Gutierrez said.