Chapter 29: Fruits of Vengeance

December 1.

As news kept arriving about the disaster unfolding at Lantillies, with the imperial fleet rapidly reconquering systems along the Hydian Way and getting dangerously close to Ringo Vinda, Jaral couldn't hide some discomfort to herself.

Part of her was hoping that Lantillies would fall and decree the loss of the Mid Rim for the Empire. Though she knew she was probably overestimating the importance of the planet and underestimating the resilience of the Empire.

Nonetheless, if the planet had fallen at that moment, there was a chance to win the war by the end of the following year. Now, however, none could tell how long this was going to drag on.

What was worse, though, wasn't not the fact that the estimates said that the battle had caused around 3 millions losses (counting in both sides), but that the Protector had been destroyed and that Prince Claudio and Admiral Edrix, the leaders of the Federation in Andromeda, had been captured.

Just last night, she had woken up after a sinister vision that she had no problem interpreting: even though UACT Command hadn't said anything, she knew that Iulius was going to use those prisoners to free Thrawn.

She couldn't help but feel a bit frustrated. After all the work she had done at the beginning of the war to put him out of the picture, now the Chiss was going to be free again, and ready to lead the Imperial Navy alongside Iulius. The mere prospect had her shiver.

However, she needed to calm down. After she put away the mug she had just depleted and undid the table, she passed a hand on her belly.

Just as Jinx had said, she had started showing the pregnancy entirely. The egg had open and the embryo was now clearly visible.

Even more: a few days before, Mira had made another scan and revealed that Jaral was going to give birth to a girl! The sole thought brought a smile back on her face, and whenever she let her mind wander on the moment when she would come to the world, Jaral felt as if she was already forging a bond with her future daughter.

Finding enough solace to calm her mind, she focused on the new task waiting for her. The clock indicated the students were going to arrive in around twenty minutes, so there was no time to waste anymore. She assured that her lightsaber was clipped at her belt and headed outside of the house, finding herself in the morning breeze of the prairie and the warm sun of Lothal, even though it should have been the start of the cold season.

At the entrance of the good old tower now stood a tiled square with a small ledge where soon she was going to stand and talk. In the parking lot stood a trainer Z-95 gently offered by the New Republic after they dismissed the model permanently.

"Good morning, General." Wolffe greeted friendly as he was preparing the firing range with visible happiness.

"Good morning to you, Wolffe." she replied gently. "How are you doing?"

Wolffe placed the last sandbag then replied. "I never thought the day would come when I would have to train Jedi younglings."

Jaral chuckled. "Life is unpredictable. Come on, let me help you."

"All right, but don't strain yourself. Your mother will kill me." he joked.

Finishing the last preparations took just long enough for the transport, a hovering bus, to arrive at the gates of the complex. The driver then proceeded to open the doors and shortly after a stream of people of various races and of very young age started to dismount. Among them, two faces were familiar: Pipey and Alora, now children around 6 years old, who were the first to jump down and walk toward the square quite excited.