Ch 9 - The Lights Went Out

Cypher's POV

I didn't sleep at all, we had to gather at 1 a.m as Brimstone mentioned yesterday. It's almost 1 a.m and I felt a little bit light headed. Maybe y/n was right, I had to take a rest before a mission but it's way to late for me to sleep now.

"oh, Cypher. Early as always," Viper commended me.

"I thought Brimstone would be our Controller. No offense, but I'm glad it's you," I tipped my hat for her, greeting her as she nodded in response.

"you're not wrong, it was supposed to be Brimstone. He sent me last minutes before we need to head out,"

"how about the briefing, though?"

"I got it in my head. We just need to wait for the others," she tapped her temple.

"I know Aria would be the second Sentinel. That made it three of us. Who will be our duelists?" 

"Jett and Neon. We were gonna bring Phoenix but Ascent needed help as well. Another spike threat but it wasn't confirmed yet. So Brimstone only brought Sage and Phoenix with him,"

"so that's where he's gone to. Ah, Aria!" I waved my hand towards my love.

"hello. I was with Neon but she said she wanted to grab Jett first," she smiled at both of us, trying to make it formal so Viper wouldn't notice anything about our relationship.

"yeah! I got her!" Neon appeared behind Aria, startling her. That was a cute reaction from her.

"okay, everyone's here. Let's go inside for briefing,"

Viper went ahead, followed by everybody. I walked next to Aria at the very back. I held her hand in mine and she turned her attention to me.

"ssshhh.." I didn't want the others to realize.

She smiled and tighten her hand that was holding mine. We walked into the meeting room and let go before anyone noticed. Everybody took a seat and waited for Viper to hand out the files she prepared in the room.

"alright. Another Icebox conundrum. An enemy Yoru and Phoenix were seen there. They didn't do anything, they were scouting. I noticed they left things here and there, they were preparing to do another spike threat," she started the briefing.

"ugh.." I let out a quiet groan as my head hurt.

"are you alright?" Aria whispered next to me.

"don't worry, my dear.." I whispered back, nobody noticed us talking.

"and I would smoke from kitchen all the way to A site. I need somebody to watch B. Jett, you should go middle and Neon can go B with Aria,"

"then I'll set up A, supporting you with the tripwires. Is that what you wanted?" I responded.

"no. Instead, can you set up B for Aria and Neon? I want to play off contact. I'll be watching belt and you can stay stairs, watching through your camera. Is that fine for you?"

"oh you're being dangerous! I like that,"

Yes, I liked the fact I could set up B so I could protect Aria even though I wasn't assigned next to her. It was perfect.

"for preparation, I need Aria to put a beacon in kitchen just in case B holders got flanked. Put a mark on Cypher as well. If I got injured, it's safer for you to teleport to Cypher who was holding stairs," Viper turned her head towards Aria.

"I understand. Where do I put my second beacon?"

"keep it for B. If you needed to teleport, you can place them later. It's situational,"