Chapter 4: Morning, Comrade!

The next morning, Childe woke up with the strangest crick in his neck. He attempted to roll over, but found that there was no bed to roll onto, and face-planted straight into the floor.

Right. There were two otherworldly children sleeping in his bed right now.

At least he knew it wasn't a dream.

He pushed himself off the floor with a grunt, rubbing his face with a great pressure. The squishy noises that came from his eyes made him squirm.

Because the sun was just rising, he decided it would be best to hop back up onto the couch. Before he laid his head down onto the arm, though, he noticed the person in the chair beside him. Kaeya was sleeping; it was the most vulnerable Childe had ever seen him. The man breathed in and out at a steady rhythm, and the light from outside hit his face in just the right angle to frame his jawline. For some reason, Childe couldn't stop staring, starry-eyed and all.

His gaze was broken when he heard a door open. He immediately jumped, flipping to shove his face into the couch.

"Uh..." Michael raised an eyebrow, "What just happened?"

"Shh, I am sleeping," Childe replied, giving the teen a thumbs-up. He rolled his eyes at the antics; while he hadn't seen Childe staring at Kaeya, he did see him flop around like a fish out of water. He preferred not to ask.

"Whatever. Do you have anything to eat?"

The ginger finally stood, leaning on the arm of the couch, "Don't worry about it, I'll make you and the other two some fried eggs when everyone wakes up."

Mirroring his movements, Michael leaned against the wall and crossed his arms. An awkward air brushed past them, and they both shivered under it.

"So..." Childe swung his arms together, "Sleep well last night?"

"Why do you care?" the teen scoffed.

He cringed, "Not one for small talk, huh?"

Michael glared at him, his mouth hanging open as if he wanted to retort a snarky comment, but ultimately said nothing. He simply shrugged and looked the other way.

After Michael awoke, it didn't take long for Evan and Elizabeth to follow. They heard Michael swing open Kaeya's door, which woke them up with a loud bang. Although they were shocked out of their sleep, the challenge was actually getting out of bed. The comforter was so warm and cozy...Evan wanted to lie there forever.

"Get up, Evan!" Elizabeth demanded, trying to pull him off the side of the bed. He shook his head into the pillow, rolling to the other side to get away from her. She pouted, resting her elbows on the comforter.

"Please? I want to talk to Mr. Kaeya!"

"Why can't you go alone?" he mumbled groggily.

"Because I don't want to."

Groaning, he accepted her answer, as sassy as it was, "Fine...'m coming."

His sister cheered, but her mood dropped again when he hopped onto her back. She grimaced, but if this was the way to get him out of bed, then so be it. She pulled his legs up and skipped over into the other room, Evan dozing off in the meantime. Though he was relishing the physical touch with his sister, she dropped him to the floor in favor of someone else.

"Mr. Kaeya!" she beamed, jumping onto his stomach. He convulsed in response, a soft 'umph!' coming from him.

"Hi, 'Lizabeth," he greeted monotonously.

Swinging her legs, she went on about the dream she had the night prior; it was something about a big metal monster, but she couldn't remember it much. All she remembered was defeating it with her 'super cool purple laser beams!' Kaeya entertained her antics as much as he could, but Childe could tell he was starting to get antsy. Chuckling at his friend's suffering, he moved to the kitchen to make breakfast.