Chapter 17: Wrath of the Flame

"Alright! Ladies and gentlemen, welcome back to our annual arrow fishing contest! Today, we're here with our contestant, Evan. Evan, do you have anything to say to the crowd?"

"Childe, you're being too loud!"

"So, he's a sourpuss!"

"Hey!"

"That's alright, we can work with that. Now, Evan, are you ready to get those fish?"

"Yeah!"

"Okay, step up to the pond! Ready? On your mark, get set, and...fish!"

Evan pointed his bow to the pond below, squinting and aiming for a fish. He bit his lip; this was his last chance, the final round...he could do this. Pulling back the arrow, he closed his eyes and shot ferociously into the water.

"And he shoots! Does he score?" Childe yelled excitedly, rushing next to the boy.

"Don't tell me, I'm too nervous!" he replied, blocking his eyes with his arm.

"Um...maybe you should keep your eyes open next time, comrade."

Evan opened his eyes to see Childe shrugging at him with a cheeky smile, so he peered into the pond to find a lone arrow stuck in the sand.

"Aw, man..." he slumped as Childe pulled the arrow out of the water.

"It's okay, you've been doing really well with target practice over these last two weeks. Moving targets are a little harder, but still, you can make more strategic shots in battle. For example, maybe you shoot a string of rope and drop a stack of important political papers on a nation's leader!"

"That's oddly specific," Evan commented as Childe put an arm around him.

"Yeah..." he cringed, "Don't worry, she's fine. I saw her at that banquet Kaeya took me to."

"Are you two done messing around?" a commanding voice called, "I thought we were sparring here."

Blushing, Kaeya chuckled at Childe and the boy, "Lighten up, 'Luc, it's just a bit of fun."

Diluc turned his nose up at the man, "If I wanted to have fun, I wouldn't have come to see you."

"That's not true, I know you enjoy my company," Kaeya grinned smugly, and the ginger rolled his eyes.

"Let's just focus on the sparring, brother."

He chuckled, "Yeah, yeah. Yanfei!"

From a little ways away, the girl perked up, "Yes, Kaeya?"

"Are you ready? Before you set these grasslands on fire..." he smirked, and Yanfei gave him a poker face.

"Yes, Lizzie and I are ready," she tilted her head as she stepped out a piece of grass that caught flame as she sparred with Elizabeth, "Are you?"

"Yeah! Are you?" Elizabeth repeated as she stuck out her tongue.

"We have been!" Diluc stressed, then rubbed his forehead, "Ugh..."

"It'll be over soon," Kaeya patted his back.

"And once it's over, drinks are on me!" Childe added, wrapping an arm around Kaeya's shoulder.

Diluc glared at him, "I despise alcohol."

"Oh?" his face paled, "I thought you owned the alcohol tycoon in Mond?"

"I do, for my deceased father."

Childe cringed, "Uh, my apologies, Master Diluc."

He narrowed his eyes at the man, "Kaeya, if you don't kill him, I will."