Gregory's Interlude Part 1

The apartment was quiet, just as Michael hoped it would be. He sat by the dining table, wrapping a roll of white tape around his wrist. By this late hour, everyone in the shelter was already asleep. He could hear his brother snoring softly on the couch, his sister cuddled into a chair beside him. Another sound came about not long after: soft footsteps on a wooden floor. He sighed as he pulled the tape with his teeth.

"Hey-hey," the intruder spoke.

"Hey," Michael looked up at him, tired eyes gazing into remorseful orbs. The man's dark hair curled onto his chin, and the dark bags under his eyes told Michael what he needed to know.

"No sleep, huh?"

He shrugged, "I was thinking about you."

"I already told you, Parker, I don't need you to worry about me."

"What else do you expect me to do?" Parker asked, a defeated tone in his voice.

"Whatever it is, I don't care," Michael averted his gaze, feeling ashamed the moment the words slipped out of his mouth. He decided not to let it show.

Parker stood for a moment, biting his lips. Even his breathing disrupted Michael's peace of mind. He hated himself for it.

Without warning, Parker took a step closer to Michael. Before Michael could tell him to back off, he held his jaw in his hand and pulled his face towards him, placing a soft kiss on Michael's cracked lips. Michael turned his body towards Parker, a hand on his.

As he pulled away, Parker frowned, "I love you. I'm sorry. What can I do?"

"I love you, too," Michael held Parker's hand steady on his jaw, "And I'm sorry. And I don't know."

"Anything," Parker pulled their hands down and clasped Michael's in his.

"I don't know."

"Mike—"

"I don't know," he insisted, his whisper turning sharp, "Alright? I don't know."

They stared into each other's eyes, Parker's eyebrows furrowed. He pulled the other man into his arms and tucked his head into his neck.

"I'm sorry," his words came out muffled.

"You don't have to keep saying it," Michael rubbed his back. He pulled away, resting his hands on Michael's shoulders while Michael locked his fingers on the small of Parker's back.

"I love you," Michael reminded him, "And I don't want to be mad. But you could have really hurt our son tonight."

Parker scoffed out a laugh, but shook his head "I—I know."

Michael reached a hand up to Parker's eyebrow, gently caressing the wound slashed across his face. He flinched, but smiled nonetheless.

"Um...Mike?" a boyish voice interrupted, entering the room. Michael leaned to the side, seeing the face of the boy he cherished, Gregory, framed in the light of a burning candle.

"What d'ya need?" Michael answered, colder than usual.

"Uh..." Gregory scratched his neck, "Um, don't be mad at Parker. It was my idea."

Rolling his eyes, Michael replied, "Trust me, I know."

"You don't have to try to defend me, Greg, I'm an adult," Parker chuckled.

"I know, I just..." Gregory shook his head, "You should be mad at me."

"Trust me, I am," he answered harshly, stepping away from Parker's embrace as the man gave him a disappointed look.