Chapter 9: ...You Apologize

"Just stop being a nuisance! Is it really that hard?!"

"You were the one who told me to go with you!"

"Not if you were going to be annoying!"

"You're just angry 'cause you couldn't do what Mr. Diluc said!"

"Evan, shut up! God, I hate—ugh—I hate being around you!"

"I hate you, too! I wish you were never born!"

"I'm gonna punt you into next week!"

"Boys!" Zhongli shouted, separating them with his arms.

"Bite me!"

"Eat my fucking arse, dipshit!"

"No, that's your boyfriend's job!"

"Parker's not my boyfriend, dickwad!"

"I bet he moved on while you were gone and found someone better because you're the worst person on earth in every single world!"

"Shut your fucking mouth!"

"They've been like this all day," Childe groaned, rubbing his face.

"You're making a scene!" Zhongli yelled at the two boys. Bored, Elizabeth kicked the pavement from where she stood next to Yanfei. She was used to the screaming matches, but she was just the tiniest bit disappointed. She almost thought that her brothers' fighting days would be over...how stupid that was.

The people of Liyue stared as they walked by, undoubtedly judging how Zhongli could not control the kids who weren't even his. He pinched his nose at their distasteful stares, letting the two boys fight it out for a moment.

"Good! Maybe if we make a scene, Mike will learn how to be a good person for more than two seconds!"

"I'm fucking trying, okay?! You didn't grow up like I did!"

"We grew up in the same house!"

"You hardly even knew Mum!"

His eyes misty, Evan gasped, "That's not true!"

"Alright, that's enough, you two!" Zhongli interrupted in a booming voice, "Michael, you go with Childe. Evan, come with me. Now!"

The two boys stomped in place, both of them searching for more words to retaliate with. When they couldn't find anything, they growled at each other.

"UGH!"

"Perhaps Michael has been spending too much time with Diluc already," Kaeya scoffed to Yanfei. As Michael stormed off towards the hills of Liyue, Evan folded his arms and pouted, Elizabeth patting his back.

Yanfei put a hand out to Kaeya, "Hold on."

Cautiously, she walked over to the two children, crouching down in front of the boy. He averted his gaze to the ground, but she lifted his head back up with a gentle finger.

"Are you okay?" she asked kindly.

"He told me I didn't know my mum," Evan clenched his fist, "I loved my mum!"

Yanfei wiped a tear from his face, "I'm really sorry he said that to you. If it's any consolation, I'm sure he didn't mean it."

"He still said it," Evan pouted, folding his arms.

"That is true," she caressed his cheek. Silent, she watched as Evan shook from trying to hold in his sobs. Yanfei squeezed his shoulder, "I know you're angry, but I think next time you two get into an argument, you should react differently."

"What? He started it!" the boy whined.

"I know! I know. I'm sure he did," she sighed, "But that doesn't mean you have to feed into it. You're only giving him the reaction he wants. If you stop adding fuel to a fire, it won't burn as bright."