Chapter 18: I Owe You My Thanks

Ajax tapped his finger on his desk, staring at an old map of his home town. He knew every single twist and turn of Snezhnaya, every nook and cranny, every secret path and trail, yet he couldn't seem to figure out the right path to return to his family. Each secret entrance was heavily guarded by the Fatui. If he wanted to sneak in, he would have to fight, and he would have to hide his identity, too. Perhaps he could don his old suit from before his promotion to harbinger; that way, he would look like any other average Fatui member. Ajax rested his head in his palm, his eyes growing heavy. So much work for a family he wasn't sure would even accept him...his journey could very well be fruitless.

"Childe?" he heard someone approach his door frame.

"Yes, comrade?" Childe shifted in his chair to face the teen.

"I was just...wondering..." Michael replied, peering around the man to see the map on his desk, "Are you really leaving for Snez—uh—whatever it's called?"

Childe saw Michael's curious expression turn dejected as he read the map from afar. He chuckled, "Not right now, I'm not."

"What about your brother? Didn't he ask you to come home?" the teen asked, and Childe nodded.

"That he did, but remember, I'm not welcome in Snezhnaya anymore. Not by the Fatui, anyway. My family could be a whole different story, but yet again, they might cast me out as well. I will admit, I'm trying to think of a plan to return home, but it surely will not be without you, your siblings, and Kaeya. I think I'll need the support. Besides, I'm not going to leave you alone with Kaeya for that long. Have you seen how the man cooks? You'd be a skeleton by the time I returned," he joked with a chuckle. Michael scoffed out a laugh, his dejected attitude turned content.

"Okay. Well, yeah, that's good—er—for us, I mean," he stammered, "I know you wanted to see your family, but—I mean—I'm not upset that you want to stick with us, too. I guess. Really, the choice is yours, I just—"

"Archons, Mike, you're killing me," the man raised an eyebrow, smirking, "Although, I didn't know you were so fond of me."

Michael felt his face flush, "I'm not! It's just—you're one of the only people who has cared for us here, and it would kind of suck if you went away. Uh, like you said, Kaeya wouldn't be able to take care of us, so I was just worried about that!"

He snickered, "I care about you as well, comrade."

"That's not what I said! Quit laughing!"

The statement only made Childe laugh harder, prompting Michael to storm over to him. He struggled in an attempt to pull away the pencil in Childe's hands; Michael didn't care much for the object itself, rather the annoyance he could bring Childe by stealing it from him.

"What is happening? Are you trying to take my pencil?" Childe wrestled Michael with his elbows, still laughing.

"Give it to me! You're annoying!"

"I'm not the one stealing the other's pencil!"

In the midst of the tussle, neither of the two boys had heard the front door to the apartment open, nor had they heard the footsteps rushing to Childe's bedroom. Suddenly, a voice interrupted their arguing.

"We need to go to Snezhnaya. Immediately."

"Ah!" the boys jumped, and Michael put a hand on his heart, "Have you heard of knocking?"

"Speak of the devil, I suppose," Childe shrugged as he turned to the Archon at his door, "Why is it so imperative for us to go to Snezhnaya right now? It can't wait?"

Zhongli shook his head, "I am afraid not. The Traveler is in grave danger, and if we don't help, so is the rest of Teyvat."

"Lumine? What's going on with her? Is she okay?" Childe rose from his chair impatiently, resting his hands on Michael's shoulders.