Chapter 30 - Pretty Kitty

"Satan, look at this one!!"

"Mc, that's a dog".

"I know that! But still, look", you pull on his interlinked arm forcing him to stay put. He sighs but a small smile still made its way onto his face.

"What's wrong with her eye?", he asked wearily.

"It looks... Really infected", you mumble.

A sympathetic sigh leaves your mouth, watching the poor dog as her one good eye blinks open and shut. Satan suddenly grabs your attention by unlinking arms with you, only to walk off.

"Where- where're you going?", you call out but gain no response. You face the dog again, putting a palm against the glass window as a quiet form of commiseration.

After a few minutes Satan soon reappeared, lingering behind you before gently placing his hands on your shoulders.

"She'll be alright. She's having treatment for it tomorrow and already has a potential carer", he informs you with a reassuring smile.

"Really?", you look back at the white dog, relief flowing through your veins. Eventually you and Satan find yourselves by the cat section but were both met with disappointment by the lack of cats there.

"I mean it's good there aren't many that'll be put down", Satan tries to convince you as well as himself but that only led to sadness at the ones here that would be getting killed.

"Hey, what happened to you, little one?", you hear Satan coo softly as he walks towards the glass door. You follow only to see a small black and white cat.

"Can you see that?", he asks, crouching down so you could see better. At first you had no clue what he was talking about until the cat moved sightly.

They only had three legs.

"Is every fucking animal in here hurt?!", you couldn't stop yourself from yelling out in anger. Who would treat animals so cruelly?

"Could we adopt this one?", Satan asks, peering at the name tag stuck on the glass. "They don't have a name...?"

"What the-"

"Oh, you're both still here?", An unfamiliar voice calls out. You spin around only to be greeted by an elderly lady.

"Yes, we were actually wondering about this cat", Satan spoke up. "They don't have a name, or a leg".

You give him a weird look at his phrasing but don't press on it. The lady strode over, a bunch of keys held in her hand.

"Ah, this one. He was left out on our doorstep. We don't know what happened to him or who his previous carer was", she explained with a dismal tone.

"Is he...? Is he...?", you felt it was inappropriate to finish your sentence but she seemed to realise.

"Oh, he's healthy and very capable despite the missing limb. He doesn't pose any threats, to himself or others."

You and Satan share a look of hopefulness which didn't go unnoticed. A smile rose upon the lady's lips as she grabbed the notable golden key between her thumb and forefinger.

"I think he'll like you both, would you like to spend some time with him?"

Your eyes gleamed and you almost jumped in excitement.

"Could we please??", she laughed at the eagerness you both carried, sliding the key into the lock.

"I'll prep him whilst you two head to the waiting room", she instructs which you both happily comply to.

In total, two hours was spent with the small cat who warmed up to you and Satan almost instantly. The lady, for the most part, left your play date unchaperoned except for the occasional well-being checks.

"You're so cute I might combust", you mumble with a giggle as the cat poked your cheek with his pink nose. He was cuddled up in your arms whilst Satan (not so) discreetly took pictures and cooed at how adorable you both looked together.

Another twenty minutes fly by and eventually you go up to the reception area with Satan following behind with the cat in his arms.

The lady smiled upon seeing you, "I'm assuming you'd like to adopt him?"

You nod your head vigorously as Satan audibly confirms. She then left to a different room but you could hear her rummaging in what likely was a filing cabinet before re-emerging with several forms.

"Well first and foremost, what would you like to name the lovely kitty?", she asked, leaning on the desk with her pen ready.

"Kushiro Milo", you say in unison with Satan. This was the name that had been discussed and it made sense to call him that since he was a mix of black and white.

"What a pretty name for a pretty cat", she comments, quickly scribbling it down on the form before moving onto the more important questions.

***
"AAAAHHHH SATAN!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE WE JUST DID THAT!!!", you cry out in joy, flailing your arms around in the air.

He grins at your elated manner, feeling just the same but instead concealed it to keep up his reputation. After the forms had been signed, a three day waiting period was mandatory before being able to take Kushiro to his new home. That didn't mean you couldn't come and visit though, which you both would straight after school.

"I know you took pictures so let's exchange!", you exclaim, plopping yourself down onto a bench which Satan mirrors, immediately grabbing his D.D.D. He had taken significantly more than you but allowed you to go through them all whilst he did the same with yours.

You knew Satan was a great photographer but not to this extent. He captured really great photos of Kushiro, some even looked like the cat was smiling in them. There were a few that were shaky but that was likely due to his excitement; You knew for a fact a lot of yours were like that too.

"Can you send me this one? I wanna make it my wallpaper!!", you request excitedly to which he nods whilst showing you the ones he'd like from yours.

Another hour was spent in the idyllic green field, gushing over Kushiro as well as discussing what you'd need to buy to make him comfortable at the House of Lamentation.

"I think we should tell the others", you eventually state.

"Lucifer wouldn't approve", Satan retorted.

"But he'll have to know at one point. We can't hide it forever".

You both were silenced by the predicament. It was known that Lucifer could somehow smell whether an animal was, or had been, in the house so he'd immediately pick up on Kushiro's presence. Maybe a spell could combat this?; Solomon could possibly find a way to hide his scent. However, that could go horribly wrong.

"We'll figure it out. For now, let's go home and make an essentials checklist", Satan suggests to which you agree to, finally getting up from the flaky wooden bench. You kick your legs out to rid yourself of the pins and needles before finally walking alongside the demon down the path you came.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////