Chapter 9

"You did good, Thomas." I say, and he doesn't seem at all bothered by the nickname. A loud screech interrupts everyone, causing all of the Gladers to fall into silence as they stare at the walls of the maze.
"What the hell was that?" He asks, his voice shaking a little.
"That my friend, was a Griever." Gally explains. "Don't worry, you're safe here with us."
"It's not so bad here, once you get used to it." Newt says. "It's because none of this works unless we have trust." Newt explains. "And all that we have is one another. You think you can work with that?" he asks, now sounding quite serious.
"Yeah." They reply, nodding their heads. "What you guys here have is like a little brotherhood. It's nice."
"It is. I'd trust these lads with my life. Except maybe Gally." Thomas looked back at Gally and cocked his head to the side.
"I don't think he's so bad." I defend Gally. "I mean, he could have shoved it in Tom's face that he beat him. But instead, he shook his hand an almost smiled."
"Key word: almost. Gally's changed over the past couple of years." Newt tells me. "But, I guess that's just the way he is now."

"I'm going to go talk to him." I state, getting up.
"Seriously?" Newt and Thom question, sounding shocked.
"Yeah." I nod. "I'm just going to see what he's like. Y'know, first hand experience."
"Good luck." I laugh, hugging them both quickly before I make my way to Gally. He's talking to some of his friends, and laughing a lot.
"Hi." I start, causing them all to look at me. "I'm Kaya. You're Gally, right?"
"That's me." He says, frowning at me. Ooookay.
"So, what brings you down here? Did Newt bore you or something?" Minho jokes, making me smile a little.
"Talking about me behind my back, Minho?" Newt teases, appearing beside me.
"Nothing I wouldn't say to your face." Minho replies, raising his glass in the air. "Thank you and good night!" Minho says then kisses me on my forehead.
"Is he somehow intoxicated?" I question, pointing at the Runner.
"Probably." They all chorus, causing me to let out a chuckle.
"So, what do you do, Gally?" I make conversation.
"Why the sudden interest in me?" Gally exclaims, glaring at me. "Trying to find out information about me before you kill me off?" I gasp, my eyes widen in complete shock. Well that came out of nowhere.
"Excuse me?" I splutter.
"You heard me. Whoever you are, you're an omen. You're going to bring nothing but trouble." Gally accuses, gaining the attention of a lot of Gladers standing around us.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I admit through my confusion.
"Oh, the girl's a liar too." Gally spits at me.
"I'm not lying about anything! And my name's Kaya. Maybe you should start calling me by it."
"Stop playing innocent. If you've come to destroy the way things work around here, might as well just confess to it now." Gally continues to go on about me.
"Gally, I-"
"Shut up!" he shouts, silencing every single person in the Glade. And the rest of planet Earth probably.
"Whatever you say, Captain Gally." I sarcastically salute him, rolling my eyes.
"Alright guys, let's tuck it in for the night." Alby claps loudly. "C'mon, goodnight." Everyone pats Tom's back and shake his hand before turning away and leaving.
"I was right." I tell Thomas. "Gally is nothing but an asshole."
"Let me guess - omen?" Newt estimates.
"Omen." Thomas confirms, resting my head on his shoulder. "I don't think I'm going to fit in here." I voice something that's been bugging me for a while now.
"That makes two of us." He agrees.

Chuck's already fast asleep by the time Thomas and I get to our hammocks. I sit down and after hesitating; He sita down in his hammock next to me, playing with his fingers as his hands rest in his lap.
"Those Grievers can't get through those walls... Can they?" Thomas asks, sounding quite scared.
"I don't think so." I tell him. "If they could, then everyone wouldn't be so relaxed all the time. And judging by the size, weight and density of those walls, it should be impossible for anything to go through them. And it's probably dark in that maze, so those Grievers don't have a chance at climbing over them." I rant a little.